Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Autopilot-Helmpilot??? I should have been more specific.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Autopilot-Helmpilot??? I should have been more specific.

What I have been looking at is a Helm autopilot...It controls the big engine by way of the steering column...It receives input from the GPS and steers your boat using the "big Engine", not the trolling motor..You can plot routes on your gps and this thing steers the boat along the route...

I should have been more specific with my question. Sorry.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

HydroGrafx Guest

Default Autopilot-Helm

CanePole,

Take a look at www.walleyecentral.com and search the "boats & motors" & "general" discussion boards for autopilot. Those walleye fishermen are serious and knowledgeable about electronics and boat control. I may end up with one next year as part of equipment I use in lake mapping activities.

One model to take a look at is the TR-1 series by Nautamatic. I have read several reviews of this one and they seemed favorable. The "Gladiator" model model integrates with hydraulic steering for control of the boat. If you don't have hydraulic steering, you may have to investigate other manufacturers like Raytheon, Furuno, Simrad, Sitex, or Comnav. They also have another model that will steer a "kicker" motor which many walleye fishermen use for trolling.

This is pretty expensive stuff compared to most electronics we typically buy, but I can see where it would be extremely useful for a serious troller.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    What I have been looking at is a Helm autopilot...It controls the big engine by way of the steering column...It receives input from the GPS and steers your boat using the "big Engine", not the trolling motor..You can plot routes on your gps and this thing steers the boat along the route...

I should have been more specific with my question. Sorry.

Cane Pole
    Whoa! You want to get serious about this. How big of an engine do you want to control? Let us know what you wind up with.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Helmpilot - Autopilot Input

What I am looking at is the Raytheon Sportpilot 4000. Cabelas has it for $700.00. I can interface it to my gps with a little cable modification...All I should have to do is to plot a route, punch the Goto button, and engage the autopilot..and away I go...Should give me lots more time to watch the poles than when I am driving...Should also help me not to wear my neck out by constantly looking back at the rear poles. I plan to put this on my pontoon.
    It's only a 18ft. with a 50 Johnson...I can troll all day long with a 5 gal tank of gas. Pontoons are perfect for trolling. It wears me out when I'm in the bass boat.

Any and all suggestions wanted.

Cane Pole
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"