Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: San Carlos Arizona Crappie Night Stalking 7/3/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Carlos Arizona Crappie Night Stalking 7/3/2008

Took my Father and oldest son night stalking on San Carlos lake (Arizona) on 7/3/2008 and 7/4/2008. Even with the lake levels dropping we still decided to fish the east end of the lake. There was not another boat in sight. We ended up bringing home 25 crappie but caught who knows how many. The largest crappie measured 16". All the crappie, including the smaller ones, were very healthy and thick. The bite was not fast and furious but it was steady all night and into the morning. We mainly used Gulp Minnows but also did the occasional experimenting with tubes and did surprisingly well verticle jigging Dino Shad. Oh yeah, we also caught about 6 catfish. Nothing big but some were good eating size. As always a memorable trip!

TRIP SUMMARY
    Water Temp: 83 degrees
    Water Depth: 12 to 18 feet deep with fish right off the bottom.
    Arsenal: Watermelon and pearl Gulp Minnows on 1/8 oz. jigheads (#2 red chrome sickle hook jigs made by Tommy Crenshaw at TCI Fishing...he makes the best jigs!!!! I highly recommend them.) We also did some verticle jigging some Dino Shad.
    Weather: Hot and muggy with the occasional thunderstorm off in the distance. Overall calm night with light breeze every so often.
    Results: 25+...we kept 25 but lost track of how many we actually caught, 6 or so catfish

TeamCSJE
    Arizona Slab Slayers
    TeamCSJE

Post Thanks / Like

TeamCSJE

Mud-Dabber from Abilene, Texas. I used to fish that Lake alot when stationed at Ft. Huachuca near Sierra Vista. Man, we caught bass like no mans business. Finally, started catching crappie on bass lures and when we actually fished for them, caught some monsters out of that Lake. Seems very, very few, fish for them in that Lake. I understand those huge water fluctuations, since it is in the desert.

I remember the Indians coming up to our campfires at night, could not speak English, but they loved hot dogs and were drunk as Hooter Brown. Finally the last straw was when they tried to catch our little dog and were going to BBQ it. Wife said it was time to pack it up and head back to Sierra Vista. I think we were outnumbered like 5 to 1. I will never forget them being barefooted and so drunk they could not stand and two of them walked thru the campfire embers and burnt their feet so bad, you could smell the flesh burning. The Indians surely had a poor existence at that time.

What a great fishing Lake, and few people other than locals know about it, it seems. You are exactly right about the jig heads offered by TCI, they are the sharpest I have ever used.

Good Fishing and I remember how ruff the faciliites were, or nonexistant.

Mud-Dabber
    Last edited by Mud-Dabber; 07-06-2008 at 09:30 AM.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report and congrats on your catch. It is always good to read about different lakes that people fish at and what bait they use.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny,Arizona and Texas use TCI jig's as do I from KY.That man must have a heck of a business.He need's to become a sponsor here and cut out E-BAY for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the ( Trip Summary ) you made. Was that something you made up , never saw that befor. We should uses that all the time.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Not ever being in Arizona you'd thunk ti would be too hot there to catch crappie. Water temps here were warmer than that here the last couple times I fished. And I complain about the heat here.:rolleyes: Good catch and good report.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Mud-Dabber,

San Carlos has not changed much. The lake levels still fluctuate. My Father is a bass (green carp) fishermen and he tears those footballs up. For some reason I have always had a love for crappie...the bass fishing thing never caught on to me. Yeah, the facilities are not the nicest which leads me to believe that this is the reason why a lot of jet skiers and motor boats don't hit the lake. Even with crappie fishing, the busy time is in the Spring then no one fishes for crappie after that, until the next Spring. It is a perfect lake for me and I fish it year-round regardless of the lake levels and the fish are always biting.

wbl2014...with regards to the fishing summary, I just figure that if someone doesn't want to read my whole post they can at least see where we are fishing, what we caught, the conditions of the lake, and lures used.

Even with the weather as hot as it is, night fishing sure beats getting hammered by the sun. Fishing in the desert during the day is suicide.

I try to get out on the lake at least every other week so I will continue to post results. If I could ever figure out the picture posting thing then I would post some pics so you guys would know that I am not just making up a "fish story."

TeamCSJE
    TeamCSJE

Post Thanks / Like

Sound like you had a good time. That is a good report too.

Gonefission
    Bill