Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Another rod holder base tutorial

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another rod holder base tutorial

I posted this in the SC forum as there was some talk about it and I figured Id add my $0.02 worth, and figured Id post it here as well if anybody needed any ideas.

As posted in SC forum....

Figure I wouldnt hijack anybody's thread. This is my set up for a multi rod base. Some people might not like it because all the rods are at the same level and no individual adjustments as far as tilt goes. I personally designed it like that bc I like them all at the same level no matter if Im crappie fishing, striper fishing, pulling a free line, catfishing, etc. Thats just me. So here goes....sorry if theyre a little big, Im too lazy to resize them all....

Heres a view from the back. Not currently set up like they would be for fishing, I always turn one holder sideways to rest my rods in when Im running the lake or trailering.

Heres how the nuts are welded on the 3/4" pipe for rod holder bases

This shot shows the tilt adjustment. I use a set screw and tighten it to where I want it. The bolt is sharpened, it will hold TIGHT. I was skeptical at first but have tested and it holds tight.

A couple of shots of a wrench I have fastened with some wire so I can hang it on the rod holders and not lose it.... and showing how it tilts.

I fish it straight it parallel with the gunnell for tight lining over brush, or night stalking, and loosen the wing nut and turn it diagonal and turn some of the rod holders diagonal when trolling.

The top of the T bar is 3/4 pipe...not conduit but regular pipe.
    The vertical portion of the T is 1/2" bolt. Ive tried to bend it and cant, So I know it will hold.
    The 'bases' are 3/8" nuts welded to the 3/4" pipe.
    The base of the T is steel plating that we had laying around with a 1/2" nut welded to it.
    The T screws into the base and tights and adjusts via wing nut.
    Drift Master rod holders of course.

Hope some of you find it helpful. So many variations to be had. We were first toying with the idea of using the round ring type bases for adjustability, but theyre more expensive and as I said earlier, I like all my rods at the same level anyway. You can weld a permanent T and use the ring type bases if you want adjustability on each individual rod holder as a lot of people like..

I have 4 of these T's. Going to build 4 more. Two at the very front for spider rigging the right way instead of how Ive been doing it and 2 at the back for trolling and an extra night stalk place.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. What did you use for the part that the 3/4 pipe slides through at the top of the 1/2" bolt?

Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure what exactly that was...I had it all in scrap here at the house. I can run check in a little bit