Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on Catawba worms and trees

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question on Catawba worms and trees

I have two nice trees, they get worms but the ants and wasp eat 'em faster than they grow, so I only get a few big 'uns. My question is: Does anybody have any idea what I can do to keep the wasp and ants off of em?
    Last edited by Goatkisser; 07-03-2008 at 11:02 AM.
    "If ya have too many decoys, ya need a bigger boat....If ya don't, ya need more decoys"

Post Thanks / Like

you might try spreading some "over and out" ant granules in the yard around the trees. Did you mean Catalpa trees?

You Can Make a Difference!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem. I know a ton of spots where I can get dozens of worms, but its a good drive from where I live. I planted a couple trees in the rear of my property and could not wait for the worms to come out. When they finally did, I just sat there at watched wasp after wasp swoop down and carry them off. I have never found anything that will prevent this, and now as soon as the worms come out, they will be picked clean in a day or two.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

These are what I mean...

Catawba/Catalpa Worms

They call em both.

I think spreading or spraying will kill the worms in the ground? Not sure though.
    Last edited by Goatkisser; 07-03-2008 at 01:40 PM.
    "If ya have too many decoys, ya need a bigger boat....If ya don't, ya need more decoys"

Post Thanks / Like

My grandmother had a net she threw over her cherry trees to keep the birds from getting in. Probably could find a net or screen for outdoor bugs, like on tents, and modify to drape over the trees if they're not too big. As for the ants, back in the 70's I lived in Savannah Ga and there was an article in the paper about a couple that had a baby that was alergic to fire ants and for some reason the ants were attracted to the baby. They wound up setting the bed posts in pans of water so the ants would drown. If there was some way you could get water around the trunk that would stop them. A lot of trouble probably, but those worms make some great bait.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Im not questioning anything here but a wasp would have a hard time getting the worm loose of the leaf the way I see it.An adult cataphle worm is quite large for a wasp to carry.Are you'all talking about just the very small one's and that would seem like quite a feat in itself.Im just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

If ants are a big part of the problem boric acid takes care of them. Just put a little around the tree reapply after rain. I would just apply it when the worms are starting to hatch out.

Boric acid also kills roaches. Roach Proof is 99% boric acid but I just got a bottle for $2 at dollar general.

Post Thanks / Like

theres something about catalpa trees that attracts insects. birds is probably the #1 enemy of the worms. i think wasps are attracted to the worms to lay their eggs on their backs.. i have two out back i use for shade trees. i sit under em a lot with a bb gun using the bees and wasps as targets. sorta like a shooting gallery. ive seen a lot of wasps on the leaves but never seen one tote a worm off. birds will grab em in a heartbeat. since i use these two particular trees for shade, i try to keep the worms off of em to, so i target them with the bb gun to keep em from stripping the leaves. catalpa trees are fast growing and if you keep the tops trimmed out, will spread out like an unbrella. they are a poor choice for shade tho, as the worms will strip em of the leaves if you let em and they make a mess on the ground. i see worms quiet often with the wasp egg sacks attached to their backs. honey bees and ants love catalpa trees to but im suspecting they are feeding on the sap thats in the leaves. this is my opinion anyway. :D
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

When I was growing up we had a catalpa tree that had worms on it at least twice a year. Every couple of years Dad would trim it back. That allowed the leaves to grow back really thick. I don't know if that was the reason, but we always had worms. Maybe the thick leaves made it harder for the wasps to find the worms. I would put a sign out and sell worms for a penny each when we had them. Once a guy stopped by the house and said he wanted all I had and he would be back later to pick them up. I would climb the tree shake out a bunch and my sister and I would pick them up and put them in a paper bag. We picked a 1000 worms. When the guy got back he almost fainted, but he bought them all. In those days $10 was a bunch of money, especially for a couple of kids. Man I shot a lot of "rain crows" out of that tree with my BB gun. You would never see one around out house until we had catalpa worms. Then like magic they would show up. Man what memories. Thanks

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I gathered a bucket of them this weekend at the cabin in Virginia....I see a lot of wasps near the tree...and I also see a lot of bees...landing in the blossoms on the tree..I have never seen a wasp take a catapla worm off the tree..these worms I am getting are almost as big around as a dime...all I have ever seen carry them off is me and my granddaughter. They are just now starting to come in...during the next two weeks...they ought to have all the leaves eat off by then. Might try to drown some of them tomorrow...maybe to entice a catfish. I don't know of anyway to throw a net over my trees..they are just to big.
    Last edited by poppop; 07-04-2008 at 05:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast