Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Murrells Inlet/Veteran's Pier Report 7/2

Post Thanks / Like

Default Murrells Inlet/Veteran's Pier Report 7/2

Got up bright and early, about 4:30. I had slept maybe an hour since 2 PM of Tuesday. Hit the road by 5:20, grabbed a bite to eat and went by Perry's Bait and Tackle. Got 2 dozen live shrimp, hoped to catch a few black drum due to the reports I heard late last week.

Finally got parked and got a line in the water around 7.

Put out the shrimp for a while and just had little stuff pecking it, pinfish and whatnot. Enough annoying baitstealers for me to leave the shrimp in the livewell. Casted some Gulp for a few minutes with no takers. I saw some finger mullet swimming around so after a while I grabbed the cast net and netted a few, probably 15 all day. I'm sure if I had tried when we first got there to fill the livewell I could have.

Put them out on a Carolina rig for flounder, had a good bite but set the hook too early, I got half of the mullet back. A little while later this guy wasn't so lucky. My first ever flounder, 15". He's in the freezer, I'm saving him for my dad to fry whole.

Started feeling tired and it started getting hot with no breeze, so we headed back. Plan to head back in the morning, hope to hook into a few more flounder.

Post Thanks / Like

great thread smoothlures, and i love the pics, let us know how you did the second day also

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how I missed this one, but good report and thanks for the pictures. Looks like you had a good trip. :D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I did alot of flounder fishing in Murrells inlet back in 2000. I was stationed at Shaw AFB in Sumter. I did all the fishing out of a canoe, and just like you figured out, those finger mullet were key. I used live if I could find them. If not, I bought the frozed mullet and put them on a 1/4oz chartreuse jighead and bounced them on the bottom. Caught lots of good flounder.

Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good getaway