Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What anchor weight and type

Post Thanks / Like

Default What anchor weight and type

Posted on Tn forum but I should have posted it here. I have a 20 foot bass boat but I don't own any anchors. I am looking at 2 14# river anchors. Would those hold my boat under most conditions?

Post Thanks / Like

Get the Chene #35....its light weight and will hold a freight train in a muddy or clay bottom

Post Thanks / Like

35 pound anchor ought to hold a submarine. Thats the heaviest I had heard of.

Post Thanks / Like

It'll work well though.
    Give it a try.
    the15yr.old crappie fisherman.
    Fishin hard since 9/13/93

Post Thanks / Like

Most 10# anchors will do the job. I have one foward and one aft. I have a third 15# anchor I'll toss out on really windy days. If you are trying to stay anchored in an area of heavy boat traffic, or, jet skiers (scum), it's not going to matter what you have out there. The wake of the traffic will continue to cause your anchors to come in somewhat and you'll have to constantly take in the slack and retie them. So don't worry about breaking your back with a heavy anchor. They will all eventually get a bit of slack in them. It mainly depends on what type of bottom the anchor is trying to get hold of. If you had an anchor that did hold good, and a really heavy boat came by causing a huge wake, it could actually swamp you and your boat.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Chene is the best for this kind of lake and 100% retrievable. It gets hung in brush (and we have loads of trees and brush in this lake) you can get it out. Not sure you would need the 35# though. I guess what kind of bottom your lake has that would make the choice for you.

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 07-01-2008 at 10:42 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

No need for a back breaking anchor. Just get you two chene anchors.

Here is a post from Rango telling how to anchor and retrive the anchors. I use these on my boat and when they are hung, No need to worry aboat boat traffic cause you will not go anywhere. It takes awhile to get use to hanging but once hung you will love them.

(Rangos post)-----you dont need a heavy anchor to hold your boat. what you need is a quick grabbing lightweight anchor with quick grabbing flukes. i use the chene style anchors. they are light and you dont need a chain to set em. they grab in just about any bottom you want to anchor in. the secret is setting and drawing the boat tight tween em so the boat wont be swaying back and forth. you need a good solid anchor if you gonna get serious about nightstalking. once i find the spot i want to fish over, i back off a piece and drop one anchor and drag it till it hangs. once it hangs i use the motor to go over and past where i want to fish to the end of the hung anchors rope (150ft), then i drop the second anchor and then drag the second anchor with the rope of the first anchor till the second anchor hangs. then you shift the boat tween the two anchors till you are over the spot you want to fish, tie off the ropes making sure the boat is tight tween the two anchors and you are ready to fish. when you get ready to go, untie the two anchor ropes and pull to one anchor and pull up on the hung anchor and retrieve it, then pull to the second anchor and retrieve it. store you anchor ropes in a 5 gallon bucket to keep it from becoming tangled. i also tie a block of styrovoam to the end of the anchor rope so i can toss it over if i need to so i can unhang a anchor thats hung tight. when that happens i use what i call a anchor snatcher and pull the anchor with the big motor in the opposite direction it was hung and it will pull free.
    Last edited by uscfan13; 07-02-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Mark
    G3 1860 cc Gator Tough ><((((º> ><((((º>

Post Thanks / Like

No...its not 35 pounds........number35.............. thats whats on the box anyway, just took it to the road for the trash collectors. If im not mistaken...its the same on Rango has

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got the 31' to 35' model...which is the largest model....maybe the top end is where they get their number from? It doesnt weight anything, so why not get that extra security of holding power? Its easy on the back. Rango got me turned on to them. Ive got a 16' boat and the model they reccomend is tiny. Like I said, no more than it weighs, why not get the extra holding power.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 16' aluminum, and use two 15 lb. mushroom anchors. It will hold in most conditions, but windy days I will get blown around. I would like to have a couple 20's.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast