Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Looking for new rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Looking for new rods.

In your opinion, what are the best rods out there for casting and fishing slip bobbers for crappies?

I'd rather be fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

I like 12' float rods for casting any kind of float -- slip or otherwise. I generally fish from shore, so long rods help. Jig poles do not make good float rods, IMO. Their actions are just too soft.

Cabela's sells float rods, as does Jedrex, Wacker Baits (and maybe Fish USA.)

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do much casting, but when I do it is usually a spoon for bass, and use the Ugly Stik 1100 or 1102.

As for a slipfloat pole, the BnM Richard William Crappie Wizzard is the best. I use slipfloat rigs in my guide service every day and after trying everything under the sun, they're the ones. The overall backbone of the pole is right and it has spinning eyes so the bobber stop comes out easily. Even my inexperienced clients have little trouble using them as a slip float and bobber stop rig.
    Quit Wish'in and Let's Go Fish'in
    Darryl Morris

FAMILY FISHING TRIPS GUIDE SERVICE
    501-844-5418 --- [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Lightin Rods 6'6" Med-Light action good rods that don't break the bank. also Rapala Sportsman seris in 8-1/2 ' med light action

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rod

BPS 7 1/2ft. Micro Lite with Thill bobber stops (smaller thread) & Thill 1/2" slip bobber work very well. Get a good reel. I use a Shimano Symetre 2000.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kinser View Post
    Berkley Lightin Rods 6'6" Med-Light action good rods that don't break the bank. also Rapala Sportsman seris in 8-1/2 ' med light action
    I have two of the rods I use for casting floats and light jigs, they are great for 40 bucks. I have more expensive gear, but pick these up more than any other rods. They are light and durable.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I use for now the Mr.Crappie sig 5.6 and 6.6 spin rods both of these rods are great tools to have when fishing those types of aplications. They will if spooled rite with the line specified or lure used handle lighut set-ups to med heavy from bobbers and so on. They were desighned for casting the lightest of tackle.

"CrappieDale

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Morris View Post
    As for a slipfloat pole, the BnM Richard William Crappie Wizzard is the best. I use slipfloat rigs in my guide service every day and after trying everything under the sun, they're the ones. The overall backbone of the pole is right and it has spinning eyes so the bobber stop comes out easily. Even my inexperienced clients have little trouble using them as a slip float and bobber stop rig.
    I've got 2 of these and I can't find anything wrong with them. Great rods for slip bobber fish'n!
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

For casting Gander Mountain carries an IM8 7ft UL that is perfect for casting and its only $50. Its less whippy that other UL's. I'd say its nearly in the light catagory, but its just perfect for casting and is sensitive enough even for my picky standards. Its the equivalent of a StCroix Premier at half the price and it has better action than the StCroix UL's.
    Good things come to those who bait.

berkleyboy Guest

I would suggest taking a look at the Grandt line of rods. They make excellent rods for many species of fish. I have the 5'6" UL and the 6'6" ml rods. They are light weight, have excellent backbone, great hook sets, and good casting distance. Take a look at www.grandtrods.com