PDA

View Full Version : American Angler VS Rapala: electric fishing knives

Crappie Dale
06-30-2008, 10:15 PM
How about it fellars, what do you think i have the American Angler Electric what about the new rapalla! Give me your oppinion i would like to know. Im about dew for another one? which one.

"CrappieDale":cool:

kymdfisher
07-01-2008, 02:17 AM
Rapala FTW.
American Angler electric knives, hmm, not too impressed theyve had problems with overheating and replacement blades, havent heard anything bad about the rapala's but everything from them is very high and god quality wouldnt imagine this would be any different.

Crappie Dale
07-01-2008, 06:41 AM
Your write its high rapala but i guess if the quality is good ill go with them.

Thanks for the reply!

"CrappieDale"

rdant
07-01-2008, 06:58 AM
My american angler got hot after cleaning only a few fish. I looked at other knives and read a couple of reports and bought a hampilton beech craving knife. It was cheaper than most knives($18.95) at wally world. I used it last week and it worked great. 37 gills and it wasn't even warm.

Don G
07-01-2008, 07:15 AM
I have a Rapala A/C only...I like the thin blade that American Angler makes..I bought the blade at Walmart....Took it home and modified it to fit the Rapala..Smooth, very smooth with no build up between the blades...

LOZcrappie
07-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Black and Decker $9.88 electric carving knife from WallyWorld. A good filleting knife and a better price.

DADAKOTA
07-01-2008, 08:47 AM
Mister twister has held up the best for me and my cohorts.

Fishin Bobber
07-01-2008, 09:06 AM
AYE<
FISHIN BOBBER here,I would never buy another Angler
mine also gets way to hot.---thats the way it is if you catch
more than one.

STRINGER:

Litebite
07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Rapala battery operated here and never had a problem with it........But haven't tried the others............

Joe
07-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Based on what is said in this post I must be lucky. I have had an american angler for probably 8-10 years and it has filleted thousands of fish and it has never heated up and never been a problem. I love the blades. They last forever and do not load up and have to be cleaned during use.
Joe

rancrappie
07-01-2008, 11:35 AM
joe you are very lucky,i"ve had 2 amag the first one wouldn't work at all took it back and got another one it kinda works

Tiger
07-02-2008, 07:02 AM
I've tried them all. I fresh and salt water fish, therefore my knives get a work out. I have a Rapala now and it is the best I have owned. Very smooth and has never gotten hot.

bluegillfisher
07-02-2008, 07:33 AM
I bought the AA saltwater knife. 12v. I had trouble getting one blade to lock in. When I got it together, I tried to cut the first cut on a bluegill and couldn't get it to cut.
I've switched to Rapala 12v. I've only used it twice, but I like it. It seems a little underpowered, but it did cut the fish. I've sharpened the blades so I'll see if it does better on the next batch of fish.
The knife doesn't get hot, but I haven't cleaned more than 7 fish at a time, and I still clean them pretty slow. So knife has time to cool.
I may pick up a mister-twister later this year and see how 110v cuts. But right now I'm happy with Rapala.

Mary

tjl
07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I returned my AA with much dissapointment..I now have a mister twister salt and it works good so far...

Illinoisgiller
07-02-2008, 04:06 PM
I have a pair of Rapala 12v- 110v combos. I have hard wired them to be 12v only and run the clips on Vexilar battery at lake cleaning areas .
My knifes are getting some age on them but both get hot after 30 or 40 gills. I think they are underpowered ,but this is the only portable knife I can find with 6" blades. I have torn down both a couple times to loosen up the sticking switch. sometimes I just use it for a while turning it off by disconnecting the battery:mad:
I just wish there was more compition in this market so quality would surely improve. Mike

oldwun
07-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I had a couple so called fish fillet knives and they worked OK. I now use a $5 Bd I got at the flea market

Crappie Dale
07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Is that the new one the grey body!

"CrappieDale"

http://www.myfishingpictures.com/data/500/thumbs/thumbnail.jpg

CrappieHead
07-06-2008, 05:48 PM
I have been using the Rapala 12v for several years now and like it but it is under power. My dads Mister Twister 120 v has alot more power. The Rapala has a nice hard case that I like and comes with a plug in to 120v.

I would like a 120v knife to use at docks and fish cleaning stations, and the 12v when clean fish at the boat.

If I don't start catching more fish I am going back to the old knife and screw all this electric stuff.

gabowman
07-06-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a 12 v. AA and have had good experience with it. I rarely ever clean more than 12-15 at a time since that's a mess for the family but have on ocassion cleaned 30 or more with no problems. I picked up a set of the narrow blades on sale at Walmart that are suoposed to fit the knife but havent unpackaged them yet since the original ones still do fine. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but I'm satisified with the AA.

joewildlife
07-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I had both and the AA didn't last through 1 limit and the Rapala didn't last through one season.

I use vintage Black and Decker or GE EK15 kitchen knives.

Joe