Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Setting the speed on the Minkota Auto pilot

St. Cloud, Fl on the Kissimme Chain of Lakes
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Setting the speed on the Minkota Auto pilot

I was wondering if anyone new how to set the speed on a Minkota Auto pilot remote control? If I click it one time my speed is around .40 mph click it two times and it will go almost 1 mph. I would like to slow things down and wondered if there was a way to set the speed on the remote?

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Foot Pedal

I HAVE A MINNKOTA RTP 80 AP THAT CAME WITH WIRELESS KEYPAD. I BOUGHT A WIRED FOOT CONTROL THAT HAS INFINITE SPEED CONTROL.
    I NEVER USE THE KEY PAD NOW.

YOUR WIRELESS KEY PAD HAS (8) SPEEDS. MANY TIMES YOU NEED TO OPERATE BETWEEN THESE SPEEDS. THE FOOT CONTROL WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT!

MONK Welcome to MonksCrappie.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

By any chance is your pedal still installed? If so make sure the speed control on it is all the way off. The original co-pilot has 11 settings with 0 being off. Don't know about the new version.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have the foot control. This is one of the new '07 models. I can adjust my speed to what ever I want with the foot control, but I would like to be able to use the remote from the back of the boat. I have been tyold there is a way to set the speed to what ever you want on the remote controler using the foot pad and the remote. But, this has not worked for me.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

what we need is a constant speed motor with a variable pitch prop. hmmm.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Cane Pole... That I did not get???

Post Thanks / Like

you need a compound wound motor for that mr. tom, i wonder if that is possible for a trolling motor, probably..

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    what we need is a constant speed motor with a variable pitch prop. hmmm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B8fish View Post
    Cane Pole... That I did not get???
    That is how airplanes (prop driven) work. They change the pitch of the prop to bite more air or less air for speed. Same thing applies to props in water.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great idea, Cane Pole. Could I still control the speed from the back of the boat. We used to use a reostat? I think that is what it is called, To lower the voltage sent to our trolling motor and control our speed better. Then M K came out with the varible speed. I still change my prop on my big motor every now and then from a 23 pitch to a 21. one is if I am taking alot of people on the boat and the other is for a lighter run. Sure wish I knew how to set the speed on my remote though. I like stuff to be at a touch of the button

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B8fish View Post
    Sounds like a great idea, Cane Pole. Could I still control the speed from the back of the boat. We used to use a reostat? I think that is what it is called, To lower the voltage sent to our trolling motor and control our speed better. Then M K came out with the varible speed. I still change my prop on my big motor every now and then from a 23 pitch to a 21. one is if I am taking alot of people on the boat and the other is for a lighter run. Sure wish I knew how to set the speed on my remote though. I like stuff to be at a touch of the button
    I dream up things I can't get.

Monk is right about the foot remote. I oughta get one for myself.