Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: San Carlos Lake, Arizona Crappie 6/29/08

Post Thanks / Like

Default San Carlos Lake, Arizona Crappie 6/29/08

I took my two younger sisters out fishing last night for Crappie on San Carlos lake (Arizona). We arrived at the lake at about 4:30 PM and had to wait for a storm to blow over and for the wind to calm down before we could launch. Launched at 6:00 PM from New Gov't ramp and fished coves just east of the ramp. We caught a few healthy 13 inch crappie and one bass pitching into brush in about 10 feet of water. The wind died down to almost nothing at about 8:30 PM and we set up the lights for night fishing. Shad were everywhere but the crappie bite was a little slow. We had a lot of missed bites but still ended up catching about 20 crappie. Even though it was slower than most nights my sisters still had fun feeling the "tick" on the line. The past couple of times going out the crappie have been biting really light. We use 6 lbs test yellow suffix line so it helps us feel those light bites.

One of the craziest things happened. My sister lost a nice crappie at the boat. It actually broke her line. About an hour later she caught the same fish, with the jig and all still in it's mouth. She didn't actually hook the fish when she caught it the second time. The jig was hooked through the loop knot on the first jig. She claims the jig is lucky so she is going to save it. Anyway, we had a good time.

Water Temp: 83 degrees
    Water Depth: 12 to 20 feet deep with fish suspending between 5 to 10 feet deep.
    Arsenal: We mainly used Kalin 2" BBC and Gulp minnows on 1/16 oz. jigheads (#2 red chrome sickle hook jigs made by Tommy Crenshaw...he makes the best jigs!!!! I highly recommend them.)

If there is anyone on this form that also fishes San Carlos lake please let me know how the fishing has been for you.

TeamCSJE
    Arizona Slab Slayers
    TeamCSJE

Crappie Xtreme is offline Moderator Illinois Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great trip. Good way to spend an evening with your sisters.

CX.
    IL board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

That is something else that she caught the same fish again!