Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: howto

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb howto

can somebody tell me how to rig a ky rig to fish deep for crappie ,i`ve only fished shallow for them with jigs and minnows with bobbers thanks in advance

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Make a Kentucky rig by tying a heavy sinker (3/4 to 1 ounce) to the end of your line. Next, tie a small tube jig a foot above the sinker and a wire hook a foot above the tube bait. Bait the hook with a lively minnow; lower the rig straight down to the bottom close to cover, then reel it up s-l-o-w-l-y.

Use a tight-line presentation with a variation of the Kentucky rig. This consists of a 1 ounce bell sinker at the bottom and two tube jigs on 1/16 ounce heads tied at 18-inch intervals above the weight. The tube jigs are tied with a simple cinch knot. This is fished on 8 pound mono using a 7.5 Ugly Stick spinning rod.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Tie a loop knot The Dropper Loop about 36" up from the tag end come down about 18" or so (not an exact science, lot of preference) tie another loop not....come down to the tag end and tie a double over hand loop....use bell sinker (basss casting sinker) of desireable weight...you can take the loop on the tag end and loop it through the eye of the sinker and around it....you can interchange weights easily like this. for instance I use a 3/8 when trolling this rig with just a hook and minnow, and 1/2-3/4 when using jigs because of the added resistance when pulling the water. I switch to a 1/4 when night stalking because the heavier weights, in my experience, seem to pull the hook out of a crappies mouth easier when theyre 'feeding up' and coming up with the bait.

Dont forget that when making the loop, when you put your hook on the line, that the bard of the hook is pointing up the line and not down the line, or else you will wind up with an upside down hook on your loop.

You can also just tie the loops, and do them like the weight....feed the loop through the eye of the hook and then pull the hook through that loop to make them readily interchangable.

Tried searching for an image. I probably over complicated it, but I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

yep...ships way works as well...didnt even see his reply as it took me so long to try and find pics and animation

Post Thanks / Like

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the pictures.

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

yep those will work
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Shipahoy41 is write do as he suggests and you should do okay.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks all maybe i will get to try it out this weekend