see the thread from the Missouri board

http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=69829
    Last edited by CrappieHead; 06-29-2008 at 02:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    Duane

My ex-wife calls me a CrappieHead
    divorced and no one to answer to, lets go fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I need a little clarification on this line:

"Statistically, alcohol is estimated to be a contributing factor in more than 50 percent of fatalities and 30 percent of injuries related to boating activities that are caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol."
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink That caught my attention, too, Jerry ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Blake View Post
    I need a little clarification on this line:

"Statistically, alcohol is estimated to be a contributing factor in more than 50 percent of fatalities and 30 percent of injuries related to boating activities that are caused by drivers under the influence of alcohol."

but I'm betting it's referring to the "drivers" ..... OF BOATS ... that are under the influence of alcoholic consumption. Or were you referring to the statistical percentages ??

Here in KY, the law says you cannot drink, or have a open container of an alcoholic beverage ... in public. And most of our lakes/waterways are considered "public". The blood alcohol level max is 0.08 for persons on land or water, already. Any person whom operates a vessel on KY waterways is considered to have given consent to a test, or tests, to determine the presence of alcohol or other drugs ... at the descretion of a Water Patrol Officer.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

If you get hit by a drunk driver while boating you have a 50 percent chance of not getting killed and a 70 percent chance of not getting injured. Mabey I read it wrong.
    MT.DEW AND JP8 IN THE MORNING GETS THE BLOOD FLOWING.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jerrry I think they are comparing two sets of statistics.

The first set are comparing fatalties occuring on the water and the percentage of those fatalties that involves intoxicated boat operators.

The second set is comparing OTHER injuries, not fatalities.

Post Thanks / Like

So with all that said. If, and when, there is no more alcohol related boating accidents. 100% of deaths and 100% of injuries will be from 100% sober operators.

I don't know about you all, but I for one, cannot see where the accidents, and injuries, on the water, are going down by the 50/30 percent theory.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't condone drunk driving or boating, but, I don't believe in the stats on the topic either. The only way these can be true, is if every single accident is blamed on the person that has any alcohol, (including passengers) and not the idiot that's sober and runs into him. That's why I hate the coined phrase 'alcohol related'.

Yesterday while I was out, I came within 20 yards of a bass boat I didn't see. Man,,,, did I feel terrible about it, even though I'm sure we were both sober. I was the idiot.
    I hope I made sense on the subject and not enemies or anger.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FisherMike View Post
    So with all that said. If, and when, there is no more alcohol related boating accidents. 100% of deaths and 100% of injuries will be from 100% sober operators.

I don't know about you all, but I for one, cannot see where the accidents, and injuries, on the water, are going down by the 50/30 percent theory.
    Don't get me wrong. I don't condone drunk driving or boating, but, I don't believe in the stats on the topic either. The only way these can be true, is if every single accident is blamed on the person that has any alcohol, (including passengers) and not the idiot that's sober and runs into him. That's why I hate the coined phrase 'alcohol related'.

Yesterday while I was out, I came within 20 yards of a bass boat I didn't see. Man,,,, did I feel terrible about it, even though I'm sure we were both sober. I was the idiot.
    I hope I made sense on the subject and not enemies or anger.
    Well you have not seen the boats on Lake of the Ozarks. Even large bass boats are to small to be on the water April to Oct. All the restaurants and bars have dock parking for boats. Lets not get started on the Party Cove.
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

you just have to be here on loz to believe it,,,just unbelievable and like Duane said thats not counting the 1600 to 2000 boats/jet ski's in party cove on any given weekend and i can almost guarantee that 50% of them cannot pass the blow test,,again you just have to see it to believe it
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old fuzzy View Post
    you just have to be here on loz to believe it,,,just unbelievable and like Duane said thats not counting the 1600 to 2000 boats/jet ski's in party cove on any given weekend and i can almost guarantee that 50% of them cannot pass the blow test,,again you just have to see it to believe it

and if you spend time in the Party Cove you will see enough females tring to pass that test!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Duane

Post Thanks / Like

If you get caught drinking and driving anything you need the book thrown at you. This is from a grandad who had 2 grandkids killed by a drunk driver.