Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just wondering

Ok a couple weeks back I got my first and only fish so far for 2005.
    This one here.

Well that night while I was sleeping I had a dream that I caught a 20" crappie. I have now made that my life goal while crappie fishing. How realistic is this goal? I have only been fishing for 4 years and crappie fishing for like 2 of those years so I don't know a whole lot about their growth and all that other scientific stuff. I just want to know if it were possible to find a crappie that large or should I narrow my goal down to say 16 inches? A buddy of mine caught a 14 inch crappie over the weekend when we were out so I know a 16 shouldn't be impossible. Thanks guys.
    fishintiger

Look for me on Ohio Game Fishing I'm fishintiger there too.

Still searching for that 20 inch crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Your state record(s) are both 18" fish. I think it's pretty safe to say an 18" crappie is respected everywhere. (Ohio recognizes private waterway fish?)
    You may be looking for that 20" mark for some time, but when you do get her - post a pic for everyone to enjoy!

Nice pic BTW.
    Remember, where there is one, there are usually others.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been fishing for them for over 20 years and finally got a 17 incher. Maybe another 20 and I can get an 18. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    Your state record(s) are both 18" fish. I think it's pretty safe to say an 18" crappie is respected everywhere. (Ohio recognizes private waterway fish?)
    You may be looking for that 20" mark for some time, but when you do get her - post a pic for everyone to enjoy!

Nice pic BTW.
    Remember, where there is one, there are usually others.
    See now you've really peeked my interest. Since the record is 18" then a 19 or 20" isn't too far fetched. Ohio does recognize private ponds and stuff for records. Maybe I will have to start fishing some private ponds. I will definetely post a picture of the 20"er if I ever get one. Well if this site is still around then. Who knows the way technology is changing. I thought that there would be more if I caught one but after last weekend I'm thinking not. The 8 fish my buddy caught were all singles. We didn't get any more than one out of a spot.
    fishintiger

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever get a chance to pick up a UVS (underwater viewing system) - do it.
    I orginally bought one to learn to read my electronics properly, but have really come to enjoy having it on board with me.
    More then one time, when a structure stopped producing fish, I would drop the camera to see exactly what I lost on my baits on. More then once I was met with a structure full of fish.
    Then there was that time a group of anglers I know found a blowdown stacked with fish.................with no takers.
    Just because you aren't getting bit, doesn't mean they aren't there.
    That's why they're called active and inactive fish. Everyone can catch active fish - that's why there's so many "pros" in the spring. It's the inactive fish that draw the diehards out.
    You've set a goal, which speaks novels about the direction you are headed. (look forward to your pictures this July)

Post Thanks / Like

If you ever get a chance to pick up a UVS (underwater viewing system) - do it.
    I orginally bought one to learn to read my electronics properly, but have really come to enjoy having it on board with me.
    More then one time, when a structure stopped producing fish, I would drop the camera to see exactly what I lost on my baits on. More then once I was met with a structure full of fish.
    Then there was that time a group of anglers I know found a blowdown stacked with fish.................with no takers.
    Just because you aren't getting bit, doesn't mean they aren't there.
    That's why they're called active and inactive fish. Everyone can catch active fish - that's why there's so many "pros" in the spring. It's the inactive fish that draw the diehards out.
    You've set a goal, which speaks novels about the direction you are headed. (look forward to your pictures this July)
    I'll look into one of those. The wind was pretty bad so it was kind of hard to stay in the same spots to fish the "exact" spots where he caught the first fish. I'm not so sure it will be July for the 20" but maybe August or September. :rolleyes: :D
    fishintiger

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't nuth'in to this big Crappie stuff.....

Post Thanks / Like

That didn't take long! Did you get her this morning? Looks like the same spot too!

(quick thinkin' 'Vet )

Post Thanks / Like

That didn't take long! Did you get her this morning? Looks like the same spot too!

(quick thinkin' 'Vet )
    Yep I got that one on my lunch break today. :D Thanks vet. Got a good laugh out of that.
    fishintiger

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishintiger
    Yep I got that one on my lunch break today. :D Thanks vet. Got a good laugh out of that.
    Hey, no problem, it's the least I could do for a neighboring state with all these Dixie Choppers around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast