Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Making Fish Attractants

Post Thanks / Like

Default Making Fish Attractants

I have a friend that said he saw a place in Tx that said they could duplicate any smell. I can't find any of these places online. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have also heard you can just use petroleum jelly and mix whatever with it and have your own smelly jelly.

I think that is neat that they can break down a smell and make it synthetic.

Post Thanks / Like

I have also heard of that company but forgot where it is. I doubt it very much if they can duplicate the smell of my homemade catfish attractant. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I hear they can break down a minnow, an insect, cricket, grass hopper and other things and tell you synthetic what it is and create the smell synthetically. I think alot of things work for catfish.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best thing for catfish is to fry up some polish sausage (Cut into 1/2 or 1 inch pieces) or good old hot dogs in a skillet to toughen them up a bit. Get a jar with a nice tight screw on lid. Put the sausage or hot dogs into the jar and will with water, anise and garlic salt. Let it marinate a day or so prior to fishing.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Ship, is that to fish with or to have for an afternoon snack?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Ship, I dont think I'd let that set in my boat for more than an hour or so before I'd finished it off. You dont want to feed the fish anything that good!

Anise Oil is good bait for just about anything. Bears will come to that stuff from amazing distances. If you want to see a real side show, soak the foot end of your buddies sleeping bag with some of it and watch him get dragged right out of the tent.

You not only need the smell but the oilyness of it has to linger as it moves through the water. Like Human blood moves through the Salt water right to a Sharks nose! The oils dont break down in the water very quickly. You can tell if its got the right stuff, when you try to wash your hands. Your Wife wont let you in the house and the Dog wants to roll on you.

I'd bet on a 50-50 mix of Anise Extract and Vinella extract, somehow soaked into your Chinelle or Foam Jig body's would do the trick.
    Dont forget simple things like Sardine oil. Eat the fish, save the oil.

Recently I tried injecting my Anise/Vinella into some plastic worms with a Diabetic's needle.
    The fluid shot right back out of the plastic worm. Its rubber, and very dense.
    I guess the next thing I'll try is boreing out a Sac in the worm from the front to put the stuff into.

Another thing that might work as a scent holder is some Pipe cleaner or Chinelle warpped around the head of the Jig or worm.
    Leather holds it's scent for a long time too. Soak some Pork rind in your favorite concoction and drag that around for awhile.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

QUOTE THUDPUCKER "I'd bet on a 50-50 mix of Anise Extract and Vinella extract, somehow soaked into your Chinelle or Foam Jig body's would do the trick.
    Dont forget simple things like Sardine oil. Eat the fish, save the oil."

I've done that too. I also will use a Q-tip to carry the scent in a tube. http://www.crappie.com/gr8vb3/showthread.php?t=69116

Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jignjim View Post
    Ship, is that to fish with or to have for an afternoon snack?
    LOL! That's what I thought...still waiting for the bait recipe.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

heck with the polish sausage or hot dogs....save em for yourself and use something natural lol

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

and eat the sardines to.....