Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shallow Lakes with heavy cover (please advise)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shallow Lakes with heavy cover (please advise)

Bare with me, this is long, but I would love to have some of your input.!!!

As some of you know I know fish Reelfoot exclusively. For the last few years I have become decent at finding and catching crappie on this tough lake to fish. I always study the tips and articles I find online to try and expand my knowledge and get better. Fishing is more than a hobby to me. I spend as much time as possible on the lake. My friends know that I am a fanatic, and they also know that I am one to try off the wall things and go against conventional wisdom to locate fish. Sure I love to go out and get myself a limit every time I get the chance, but to me its much more fun finding fish in areas where they are not supposed to be. 90% of the time I would rather go and catch 5 fish somewhere where someone tells me I cant catch any, than go and catch the 30 fish limit where everyone else is out there catch'n em. Likewise I love it when the so called experts say the crappie have slowed way down and you cant catch them, then I got out and pull 10-15 good ones off places people have given up on.

Anyway, my question is this. There are almost no articles on Reelfoot, or the Reelfoot type of lake. Every time you type in crappie fishing on google or whatever, you get the same old articles about how to catch crappie on man made lakes. Deep in the summer, and winter. Early spring and fall locations. The same old tactics, tips, and techniques. Alot of this will not apply to this lake. I know the guides can go out from fall through spring and catch crappie predictably in the same locations. I generally can do the same thing. BUT, I want to catch them in shallow water in the summer/winter. I want to do the opposite of what everyone is doing and catch fish. I know it can be done. I have done it, on rare occasions. I want to learn more, and I put in time, and I know eventually these things will come, but I dont see why it should take years upon years to formulate my own ideas. This is the age of the internet. Communication. Not that I want a hand out at all. Its all about the HUNT. I just need ideas, from proven techniques. I want to hear from some of you guys that fish similar lakes. What can i do to catch crappie in places no one else is looking. How do i eliminate water?

Its not as easy as some think to eliminate places. This lake has an everage depth of about 5.5ft. Its very large, and Its loaded with crappie. Its widely regarded as a "crappie factory", one of, if not the best place to fill the cooler in the country. For those that are not fimiliar, the lake is basically four main bodies of water connected by "ditches" and impassible shallow swamp. Everywhere in between and around the lake is shallow marsh not accesable. Standing timber, cypress trees, grass and lilly pads dominate the entire lake. Submerged stumps are everywhere. This was literally sunken forest beneath the waters as it was formed by an earthquake about 200 years ago. Basically, the lower basin is what I call the main lake. Its the largest, and the deepest, and where most people fish. There are isolated areas with 18-20ft of water, but basically the middle is 15-16ft and a gradual decrease from the to the out edges. No real ledges, or points. No creeks or river channels. The middle basins and upper basin are basically only a few feet deep on average. With good areas at the centers with 6-8ft of water. That is pretty much as deep as it gets. Now I know that MOST of the crappie in these basins never leave. Its not feasable for them to travel in great numbers these long distances, I know that MOST are in these shallow areas year round. Winter fishing is pretty much confined to the upper and lower basins. With about 80% of the fishing being done on the deep(lower) part of the lake. In the summer, most people dont fish at all in the summer, fishing is about 95% done in the deep(lower) part of the lake. The spring offers great fishing in the middle basins, and these crappie are not traveling out of these areas. So where to find them?????

The lake is about a 60/40 ratio of white/black crappie. About 80% or more of the fish caught each year are white crappie. White crappie are in the deeper, more stained areas. Black crappie are in the shallower, clearer water. But you can catch both in both places. So, hopefully you made it through all this junk and have some ideas on where to target these crappie that are in the shallow water, but people are not looking for them there for the most part about 75% of the year. This is probably why the ratio of black crappie to white crappie is getting closer as the years go by. Not to mention the crappie masters held here every year at the end of winter, just before spring, is always won with the black crappie that are coming out of these shallow areas. Most of the top teams come in with the big blacks.

Any thoughts? ideas? I feel alone out here. I want to catch them all year. And I want to target these shallow water crappie, but cant seem to find them very often. Any other lakes out there that are similar? Thanks in advance, I hope we can hae a discussion on this!
    Last edited by WestTennCrappie; 06-27-2008 at 11:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I try to fish reelfoot every year in the spring. The last two years there I have spoken with locals that come there and fish. Three different fisherman one from Tenn two from Missouri I think. But all said they fish reelfoot a lot.

These locals tell me the fall/winter is the best months for crappie fishing at reelfoot. When we go to reelfoot we usually stay at Greys Camp so he locals were putting in on the Upper Blue Basin.

I asked the locals where they caught their winter time fish they would reply the lilly pads. I didn't get the impression they were pulling my leg. It doesn't seem like a wintertime location but then again as you said reelfoot is so different from most lakes. I think thats what appeals to me so much about the lake.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

My First though on this wound be to look for anything that is different on the bottom, if you know the fish are staying in the part of the lake you are fishing in. I would look for the deepest water and then look around to see where they are going to feed at. Crappie will be in cooler water and run up to shallow water to feed on minnows and bugs then go back to there holding place. If you find a deep pocket with stumps close by try to set up between them and throw a jig around the stumps, if they are not there throw to the deep pockets. If you have no luck catching them then try a deep pocket with something different then stumps, like the lily pads.
    With water so shallow you could be spooking the fish before you get to them. You didn't say how you are fishing but I would try putting 16' rods out in front of the boat and slowly troll around with the jigs about 30'' deep. That way it give you 16' before your boat has a chance to spook the fish. When I say slow troll, just tap the trolling motor when the boat stop's moving. Try to keep you lines straight up and down, if the bites are coming after you tap the motor the fish are telling you to speed up a little, the fish will let you know how fast to fish just pay attention to when the bite comes.
    Sometimes tipping the jig with a minnow will help. Maybe this will give you something different to try. Good luck with your fishing.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys, thanks for the input. As I said before I dont have a problem catching fish year round. Its just catching them in these places where no one is looking.

gone fishing: I dont think its a secret that Folks are catching crappie in the old pads in winter, its just which ones? As you probably know there are literally miles of pads to fish out there. I know some areas that hold crappie in the winter with pads, but nothing where i have had tremendous success.

Stump hunter: Spider rig is what i do most of the time. In these areas that I feel are holding crappie in the summer, its not an option. In the winter spider riggin can be done in these areas and yes you need 16ft rods to get after them if your gonna do it.

I am hoping that some people with knowledge of similar lakes that catch crappie shallow will chime in here on this. It would help if Reelfoot folks would get in on this, its just that rarely anyone fishes these shallow areas. I will find them one day, its just a matter of being able to covre all that water. it could take years

Post Thanks / Like

2nd Stump on that. Up here in MI. most of the lakes I fish are very clear waters and I found that picking up on you southern boys tatic of KY rigging, or spider rigging w/ long poles has been the ticket ESPECIALLY in shallow water. I run BnM 13.5' poles and just like Stump said watch the bite to dictate your speed. I have also done really well in the mid summer months in 5' and less w/ flyrod and dry flies on the surface in the evenings and early mornings. Flashy dry flies seem to be the best. Hope that adds to your arsenal of info.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WestTennCrappie View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for the input. As I said before I dont have a problem catching fish year round. Its just catching them in these places where no one is looking.

gone fishing: I dont think its a secret that Folks are catching crappie in the old pads in winter, its just which ones? As you probably know there are literally miles of pads to fish out there. I know some areas that hold crappie in the winter with pads, but nothing where i have had tremendous success.

Stump hunter: Spider rig is what i do most of the time. In these areas that I feel are holding crappie in the summer, its not an option. In the winter spider riggin can be done in these areas and yes you need 16ft rods to get after them if your gonna do it.

I am hoping that some people with knowledge of similar lakes that catch crappie shallow will chime in here on this. It would help if Reelfoot folks would get in on this, its just that rarely anyone fishes these shallow areas. I will find them one day, its just a matter of being able to covre all that water. it could take years
    I am not talking about fishing with but two rods, I fish a place where stumps are everywhere but with just two rods I can move the rods around the stumps with out spooking the fish and not get hung up. Like you said, try things that others don't do. I catch lots of fish in places where I can just get my boat through. I have tried to hold the rod in my hand but I think I move the jig to much to jig around the stumps but in the same places I can use this method and catch the fish.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

WTC, I appreciate your question. I have just fished Reelfoot the first time this year(bout five or six times so far) and I just love that place. I'll be following the thread closely. Maybe you'll get some other locals to chime in. As you said, it is such a gradual change between depths that breaks are hard to find. I have noticed that there are some humps out there that seem to produce fish, but I have found those in the midrange that you mentioned. I had trouble finding fish shallow, or what I call shallow. I've never caught a fish over there thinner than about 3.5', and none around the trees. Dippin brush is my favorite way to fish, but I just couldn't get it done there, pads yes, but not brush. I am open to new ways to fish, and a buddy of mine is pretty handy on the crappie that likes to bobber/jig fish in shallow water especially on calm days. It stands to reason that this works because you can stay away from the fish, but I'm not much of a bobber watcher.

Post Thanks / Like

Your making me want to come fish Reelfoot now. It sounds like a southern version of my lake here Chautauqua except that we don't have as many pads and trees and stumps and have a lot of huge weed beds.

In my experience with heavy cover and clear shallow water your probably going to scare the fish under the boat with spider rigging. I would go to one spinning rig and target the edges of cover with jigs. Of course thats what I always do because I love fishing that way, but in your case that should allow you to target the location where fish are with out spooking them, especially the big ones. I use a 7 ft UL with 4lb test. I cast 1/32, 1/16, or 1/8 oz unpainted jigheads with grubs, tubes, berkley gulp minnows, small swimbaits like northland mimic minnows, sliders, or basically anything that wiggles or looks like a meal to crappies.

Cast to the edge of the cover and let it fall to the bottom or a specific depth. Watch the line like a hawk for strikes on the fall and tighten up your nerves because you have to be quick or they will spit it, especially the big ones. After the fall slowly retrieve the jig again watching the line like a hawk. You will either see a strike like someone strumming the line or it may go slack from a fish picking it up from behind. Either way it takes concentration and a sensitive rig so that you can use both your eyes and your hands to detect the hits.

At night use your electronics to find the edges of cover and basically do the same thing except use just your hands to detect the strikes. I often fish with my eyes closed at night so I can concentrate exclusively on the sensations I'm getting through my gear. This is where quality gear comes in. 40 million+ modulus rod with a low stretch line that doesn't coil, like Gamma. A VERY smooth reel that doesn't interfere with the sensations from the water. This is very different gear from spider rig gear unless you spent a lot on it. You only need one rig like this because you could never use more than one for this type of fishing, but be warned. This type of fishing is as addictive as drugs and once you start getting the thump, as Skip would say, on a regular basis you won't want to go back to the methods where you don't feel anything.

Float fishing works almost exactly the same way except you can deal with more than one rod at a time unless they are really hitting then you need to concentrate one one rod with the same attention that you use without the bobber. The strike with jigs on a bobber is not like with live bait. You have to hit them quick or they will spit. Another difference is you can still fish over schools and move the jig slower than with casting at specific depths when they are being picky, but there are many small alternative styles to this method that you can adjust to the type of cover your fishing. The key is paying close attention and using good gear that your familiar with like an old pair of boots.

This is one time that fishing alone isn't a bad idea. I often find that I catch more fish when alone than when I have a partner along. This type of Crappie fishing tends to be a more cerebral type of fishing with many elements that you have to pay attention to when fishing and I find I can concentrate and get in the zone much better when alone than when fishing with others. I still love to fish with others but the chatter and distractions definitely cost me fish.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Again i appreciate the info!

Grizz, I am in total agreement about fishing alone. I always catch more fish alone than with other people. I am much more patient by myself. I love to be out there trying things and catching fish with patience. When I do this I think to myself that if I had not been patient and tried to use my head I would not have anything in the livewell.

My biggest problems are time, money, and no one else with the same type of interests to go out and do these things. I have friends who love to fish, but no one I know puts as much time and thought into it. I have no one to compare notes with, no one helping me brainstorm for ideas. The time and money i can get around.

I wish some of you all were down here on this lake. Its amazing at the fish caught out of this lake from fall to spring. Then to go out there in the summer when you know they are there but cant find them. Even when they are biting in the shallows well, there is just so much potential water to cover! There are many days I spend 8hrs or more ont he water and only fish a few spots. Its hard for me to give up on a place. People say if they are not biting right away then move on, but its my experience that jsut because they are not biting it right away doesnt mean they are not here and cant be caught.

You guys would not believe the time I put into reading articles, studying the map, and just studying in general. I spend alot of time each day doing these things, and if nothing else thinking about them. I know the lake well. I know where most everything is, and can visualize it in my head. I spend time on the lake riding around in all 4 seasons jsut to get a feel of what the lake looks like at various times of the year. The crappie I know are predictable all year round, and I feel I should be able to catch them most every time I go. I get lonely in this endeavor and I am alwasy wishing I could find someone that was willing to help me put in the time and catch these fish where no one is looking for them.

keep the thoughts coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Try this and see if it works for you. I catch Crappie in a lot of different situations and one that I would try in a situation like this is to put a small bobber 3-4 foot up or where you think the depth might be and slowly verrrrrry slowly reel the small jig tipped or not back to you. I like 1/64th or 1/32nd ounce jigs. Another thing you can do is tie your own roadrunner combination I like chartreuse and black in a very light weight and throw these retrieving slowly. Good Luck because either of these will catch fish in that situation IMOHO.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast