PDA

View Full Version : Tips Thread

shadow
06-27-2008, 07:27 PM
What do you all think about having a tips thread on here? I know it is off topic but I think that we could help each other out alot too. You could post tips that you read out of the F&S magazine or any other place you may come across something that could help the other members out.

I will start with a tip for drying out wet shoes/boots. You can stuff the wet shoes with newspaper and they will be bone dry by the next morning! I have used this several times and this works great! Works great when you go on those "wet" rides on vacation!

shipahoy41
06-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Turn your boots upside down on heavy cardboard tubes (get them at a carpet store). Your boots dry very nicely that way and do not get a permanent crease in them. Cut tubing to size and insert them into your boots..

Every thread on crappie.com is full of tips specific to the thread idea. My CD is also full of tips. I just had to comment on your boot idea.

smoothlures
07-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Should these be saltwater fishing related? Sounds like a good idea.

Deacon
07-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Bet horse #4 in the 5th race / How about that for a tip?
Sounds like a good idea Dwyane.

shadow
07-03-2008, 06:43 PM

It can be for any good idea you have a tip for. The guys that know me, know that I am ok with off topic post as long as they don't take over the board.

SPORTCITY
07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Boat Trailer Runners that are covered with carpet can sometimes be tough to slide boat on or off the trailer. I have found that a light spray with silicone spray on the carpet will really make a difference. Just don't overdo it because the first time I tried it the boat almost came off of the trailer when I unhooked the winch rope. You can redo it periodically to keep them slick.

jlaughlin72
07-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Bet horse #4 in the 5th race / How about that for a tip?
Sounds like a good idea Dwyane.

Deacon, I would bet on the #5 horse in the 5th race, but the way my luck runs the horse would come in 5th place.

and I caint think of anything atm for a tip other than keep the wife happy or no-one will be happy.

Gatortrax35
07-09-2008, 05:17 PM
sounds good to me I need all the help I can get!!!

jnash75976
07-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Great idea for tip thread,we could all use new tips:D

crappiecatcher06
08-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Here are a few tips I follow:
I always keep my wallet in a Ziploc bag while I'm in a boat.
I always keep a pocket compass on boat as a back up.
I always keep some Charmin in a Ziploc bag when on the water you never know.
I always keep a first aid kit on board and have had to use it many times, I also add to the standard kit Baby Asprins, Ginger pills, Dramamine, a tube of Medicated Vasaline, a jar of Carmex, at least 6 ft of 40# test for pulling hooks out if the unfortunate happens and a small bottle of sun screen for neck, face and nose.
And last but not least a multi-tool and a small Swiss knife.

Yates
02-02-2009, 08:28 AM
The guys that know me, know that I am ok with off topic post as long as they

.. do it my way or I'll take my ball and go home

shadow
02-02-2009, 12:00 PM
.. do it my way or I'll take my ball and go home

That's NOT what I was saying at all! Maybe you are just having a bad day. I sure hope your day gets better.:D

sneakypete
02-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I ain't giving any tips - then you all would know as much as I do!
Which ain't much when it comes to sac-a-lait fishing!
Oh, this can also include saltwater tips? Okay, When you are fishing with soft-plastics, stuff a couple of extras in a shirt pocket. That way you won't lose a bunch of time going back and forth to your tackle box to get another one when the one you are using gets all discombobulated. That's especially important during a hot but short bite.
Pete

Yates
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM

That rule #5

shadow
02-02-2009, 04:29 PM
That rule #5

If you are going to continue to make nonsense reports, BE FOREWARNED the rest of the threads you post that have NOTHING to do with the subjects will be DELETED! What exactly have you contributed to the "Tips Thread"?

sneakypete
02-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Hey Dwyane -
We had a problem on the Louisiana fly fishing cite a while back with someone stirring stuff - seemed like he had nothing better to do. Anyway, I am certainly not an administrator, but I know folks, and I see no good with the one presently giving our "Tips" site trouble.
Want me to stuff a couple in the double and give you some 3-inch back-up?
Pete

Yates
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Shadow I may have said it wrong..It will stop. I have read a lot on this site & enjoyed some of the pic's this is a nice site.. it was said wrong ..sorry it will stop...Larry

Bob # 1
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I will start with a tip for drying out wet shoes/boots. You can stuff the wet shoes with newspaper and they will be bone dry by the next morning! I have used this several times and this works great! Works great when you go on those "wet" rides on vacation!

Here is couple

Wear life vest
DON'T SET IN LAWN CHAIR (see picture)
I fell in wearing vest.

Lost glasses, camera, CHAIR

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/BobGlen/268d698f.jpg

shadow
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Here is couple

Wear life vest
DON'T SET IN LAWN CHAIR (see picture)
I fell in wearing vest.

Lost glasses, camera, CHAIR

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r33/BobGlen/268d698f.jpg

Bob, now that is funny! As long as you didn't get hurt! Reminds me of the last time I took my dad fishing, we were finished up and getting ready to head back when he rolled out of the boat!:eek: Lost his prescription glasses!:eek: Didn't get hurt though, thank God!

Yates
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Bob # 1 it's good to hear your ok we lost a good man here doing that same thing, keep Wearing that life vest and be safe..

SeaSlayer
05-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Make as many friends as you can at the marina, local watering holes, and the like. The more people you know, the more spots you might find, and the more people you can rely on when you need help.
When fishing inshore, even for small game like speckled trout, I always bring some cut mullet to put out. You never know when a big red or even a MOAT (mother of all trout) is waiting for something bigger than a minnow to sink her teeth into

GCD
05-26-2010, 05:47 AM
As far as the wet boots go... buy Gore-Tex boots, it'll be the best money you ever spent!

Saltwater fishin' tip:

Use these hooks
Cabela's -- Daiichi D84Z Circle Chunk Light Bleeding Bait Hook (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat601321&id=0011671316381a&navCount=2&podId=0011671&parentId=cat601321&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601321&hasJS=true)
... with a fluorocarbon leader.

Freebird87
05-28-2010, 08:45 PM
I move fishing holes a lot, every 2-3 years courtesy of the USAF. Here are the tips I've learned:

1. Be courteous and respectful and you will meet good folks to fish with and show you how it is done locally.
2. Share your tips from other areas that might work locally--without being a smarty pants know-it-all.
3. When in a buddy's boat, pay for gas and bait and lunch and spring for tackle when needed --you might get invited back.
4. Share trips back in your boat.
5. Clean, or help clean, the fish you decide to keep.
6. Honor the rules of the boat you are in, too. A catch and release day is a good day!
7. Pass on the knowledge to someone new; but respect the sacred secret fishing holes of those that showed you how and where.
8. Pick up your trash at the end of the fishing trip, help clean up the boat, and ask what else you can do before you leave.
9. Know how to back a trailer.
10. Be on time ( I have violated this one way too much -- Sorry DocWaldo!)

I'm sure there are a ton more. I have spent 2 years in a new place trying to figure out where, how and why the fish in a local area behave, and about the time I figure it out, the Air Force says its time to move again. I truly appreciate the folks I have met on boards like this one that are willing to help someone new to the area learn the ropes and enjoy some fishing.