PDA

View Full Version : Salt water trolling motors

DOCK-SHOOTER95
06-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Anyone out there have one of the minn kota riptides? I am about to get one on my new boat and was wondering if anyone had one to see if they liked it. i am getting a foot control with mine, for some reason i am scared to get the wireless just seems like something could go wrong.?... Thanks for any input!
Nathan

RACN35
06-26-2008, 04:40 AM
with all the saltwater problems that boats have it would seem better to have the wireless, less to corrode i think.....only a matter of time before something goes wrong with the non-wireless for sure. all those wires and saltwater will kill it sooner or later

SteveJ
06-26-2008, 05:37 AM
a friend has had one for a while and likes it fine but his is a hand control, even less to go wrong.

shadow
06-26-2008, 07:07 AM
I have had one for the last several years and I LOVE IT!! I have always fished both salt and fresh water all my life and the riptide is the first TM that I have had that has NOT giving me problems fishing both waters. Mine is a smaller hand held model.

Fishtale05
10-17-2008, 08:57 PM
I have a Rip Tide hand steer with the 3x steering and it is great, I've used it in salt water and the Red River. I have had other types and would not trade and it is not hard on the battery....;)

shadow
10-19-2008, 12:13 AM
I have a Rip Tide hand steer with the 3x steering and it is great, I've used it in salt water and the Red River. I have had other types and would not trade and it is not hard on the battery....;)

Welcome to you Fishtale05! Glad to have you onboard! Hope you get as much out of this site as I have.:D

Perch Jerker35
10-21-2008, 01:59 PM
My dad has a Minn Kota Riptide with the autopilot and copilot, really nice for when you are striper fishing and you can forget about the trolling motor for a while...

wasabi
10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
I have a riptide with copilot + autopilot. Works great. Not a hint of corrosion from my salt water trips. I have the remote, no foot pedal. A selling point for mine was a spare remote control, not sure if they still offer that. The wired foot pedal is only about $60 extra and I have considered getting it but getting by without it.

I put dielectric grease on my electrical connection pins and sockets to combat corrosion.

centerdriver
10-26-2008, 07:58 PM
I am going on 4 years with my riptide 80 lb hand tiller. I have heard other people have had problems with the 3x, but those are people who run into a lot of stumps, rocks and other objects. I really like my 24v tm cuz I can go to the coast for 2 days and not have to charge it till I get back. Was also told, by several people, "Man that thing is quiet". If I ever hit the lotto, will get the wireless, but as grandpa all ways said, poor folks got poor ways.
Dusty