Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Salt water trolling motors

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salt water trolling motors

Anyone out there have one of the minn kota riptides? I am about to get one on my new boat and was wondering if anyone had one to see if they liked it. i am getting a foot control with mine, for some reason i am scared to get the wireless just seems like something could go wrong.?... Thanks for any input!
    Nathan

Post Thanks / Like

with all the saltwater problems that boats have it would seem better to have the wireless, less to corrode i think.....only a matter of time before something goes wrong with the non-wireless for sure. all those wires and saltwater will kill it sooner or later

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Post Thanks / Like

a friend has had one for a while and likes it fine but his is a hand control, even less to go wrong.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I have had one for the last several years and I LOVE IT!! I have always fished both salt and fresh water all my life and the riptide is the first TM that I have had that has NOT giving me problems fishing both waters. Mine is a smaller hand held model.
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Rip Tide hand steer with the 3x steering and it is great, I've used it in salt water and the Red River. I have had other types and would not trade and it is not hard on the battery....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtale05 View Post
    I have a Rip Tide hand steer with the 3x steering and it is great, I've used it in salt water and the Red River. I have had other types and would not trade and it is not hard on the battery....
    Welcome to you Fishtale05! Glad to have you onboard! Hope you get as much out of this site as I have.:D
    Dwyane
    The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary!

SMILE- A curve that can set a lot of things straight!

Post Thanks / Like

My dad has a Minn Kota Riptide with the autopilot and copilot, really nice for when you are striper fishing and you can forget about the trolling motor for a while...
    Son of Racoon, Friend of whiskerwhipper, FHB to all.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a riptide with copilot + autopilot. Works great. Not a hint of corrosion from my salt water trips. I have the remote, no foot pedal. A selling point for mine was a spare remote control, not sure if they still offer that. The wired foot pedal is only about $60 extra and I have considered getting it but getting by without it.

I put dielectric grease on my electrical connection pins and sockets to combat corrosion.
    Small Boat Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I am going on 4 years with my riptide 80 lb hand tiller. I have heard other people have had problems with the 3x, but those are people who run into a lot of stumps, rocks and other objects. I really like my 24v tm cuz I can go to the coast for 2 days and not have to charge it till I get back. Was also told, by several people, "Man that thing is quiet". If I ever hit the lotto, will get the wireless, but as grandpa all ways said, poor folks got poor ways.
    Dusty
    A gun in hand is a lot better than a cop on the phone.