Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spark Plugs

How often do you change your plugs and is there a brand name that is better than the rest?
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your motor and preferred spark plug type. I've got an Optimax 225 that runs NGK iridium spark plugs. Other than after the initial break-in period, I don't think you have to change them unless they're damaged. For other plug types and motors, I just pulled them, inspected them, re-gapped them, and only replaced them if they were really fouled and I couldn't clean them.

backtocrappie is offline Moderator OT Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your motor and preferred spark plug type. I've got an Optimax 225 that runs NGK iridium spark plugs. Other than after the initial break-in period, I don't think you have to change them unless they're damaged. For other plug types and motors, I just pulled them, inspected them, re-gapped them, and only replaced them if they were really fouled and I couldn't clean them.
    I just put those in my 04' Explorer at 70K, made a heck of difference in my gas mileage!The problem is the gapping. Specs are done in metrics and you have to dig around online to find the conversion for our SAE 100ths of an inch gapping tools.
    "We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good"
    Sen. Hillary Clinton - Speech at Democratic Fundraiser, June 2004

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spark Plugs

Quote Originally Posted by fished-out View Post
    I'm running a 98 merc 90 hp. and also have NGK plugs. Reason I'm asking is, the motor sounded like it might be missing after making a long run.
    Runs good, starts good. Only after coming to an idle speed after the run does it miss a beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Downwind, doesn't sound like a plug to me. With a plug, you usually have trouble starting and it'll miss consistently. Sounds more like a carb or other fuel intake type problem. But I'm not a mechanic, I just mess around....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by backtocrappie View Post
    I just put those in my 04' Explorer at 70K, made a heck of difference in my gas mileage!The problem is the gapping. Specs are done in metrics and you have to dig around online to find the conversion for our SAE 100ths of an inch gapping tools.
    I'm pretty sure you can get a metric gapper cheap at the local NAPA store. I've got one that's metric on one side and SAE on the other.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I change mine in my outboard once a year. Its cheap insurance plus they can give me a heads up of any problem that may be developing.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies! I've read about a product called Sea Foam on the board. Think running some of this through might help? Surly couldn't hurt anything I suppose. Any other products out there that might be recommended?

Post Thanks / Like

The one thing I do consistently on my Optimax 225 that both the dealer and the manual suggested is to run Quickleen in the gas. One oz treats 6 gallons of gas. I put it in every other fill-up.

Post Thanks / Like

where you get that Quickleen?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast