Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attaching Line To A Pole

MNJeff Guest

Default Attaching Line To A Pole

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 13 foot Shakespeare telescoping panfish pole . However I have no idea how to attach line to the pole. It has two line keepers towards the rear of the pole and a small metal guide at the tip. If any one knows how to rig up a pole like this than I would appreciate your help.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Alabama. I am sure you will get a few responses to your question. I would also go to Shakespeare Fishing Tackle and check their website for frequently asked questions or take it to your local bait and tackle shop.

Here is their section on fishing rods. Shakespeare Fishing Tackle

The rod is a telescoping style in 4 sections down that collapses to a length of 28". The rod is rigged through a single guide on the fluorescent colored tip. Some other rods I've seen run the line through the center of the pole and out the tip for better sensitivity. That may be an improvement -- sensitivity seems fair to me on this rod. And having the line rigged out side lets you control the line in a sort-of fly fishing manner.

The line keepers are spaced so that you can easily count off line in 1 foot lengths. Most recommendations says it's easiest to manage a straight pole like this with a length of line equal to the pole. In this case, with about 10 foot of line stripped off.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish telescopic poles all the time for crappie and bluegill, like ship said you want to tie your line to the guide on the end of the rod, the two line keepers are for your line when then rod is broke down. A tip you might want to try is tie 6 or 8 pound line to the tip and rig up your slip float, use a lighter line leader for your hook. This way, if you have to break off, you only have to tie a leader back on instead of rigging the whole pole again.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink It may not be the "right" way ...

Quote Originally Posted by MNJeff View Post
    Hello everyone. I just picked up a 13 foot Shakespeare telescoping panfish pole . However I have no idea how to attach line to the pole. It has two line keepers towards the rear of the pole and a small metal guide at the tip. If any one knows how to rig up a pole like this than I would appreciate your help.
    or how the articles say to do it, but this is how I rig mine :

Starting at the butt end, I wrap the line several times around the butt, then tape it down with elec tape. Then I spiral wrap the line around the pole, so that I have at least one wrap for each foot of rod length. Then I put the line thru the end tip guide, and tie it off, but don't cut the line (yet). Then I let out a length of line that's about one to two feet longer than the rod. That depends on how much bend there is in the rod, though. I want to be able to lift at least 1lb and still be able to hold the pole up in the air, arm extended, and be able to swing the weight to me. Any fish that weighs more than that, and I'm gonna net it :D

Just for clarification, though, neither of my collapsible poles have a line retainer. But, if they did, I'd just use them when I collapsed the pole, to wrap the excess line/leader around.

I'm basically just putting line on my collapsible poles, the same way you'd put line on a cane pole +/- :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I learned an Italian way of doing this that I've been using for the last ten years or so. First, I take about 4" of fly line backing. Fold the line in half, and tie a double overhand knot near the tips. You now have a loop of about 2". Put the tip of your pole through this loop, and then bring the knotted end of the loop back through the ring at the end of the pole. Using a slip loop, attach your rig behind the knot in the fly line backing.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always ran the line thru the eye of the rod tip then attach it to the pole with an improved clinch knot. I use the 2 clips for storage only. I use to tie the line to the rod tip but once in a while the tip would pull off so I quit that.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

MNJeff Guest

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. Shipahoy41 I checked out the Shakespeare website before posting here and couldn't find any information I needed. Although maybe I just wasn't looking in the correct area. I'm going to try a few different methods you suggested and see which one works for me.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Locator79 View Post
    I fish telescopic poles all the time for crappie and bluegill, like ship said you want to tie your line to the guide on the end of the rod, the two line keepers are for your line when then rod is broke down. A tip you might want to try is tie 6 or 8 pound line to the tip and rig up your slip float, use a lighter line leader for your hook. This way, if you have to break off, you only have to tie a leader back on instead of rigging the whole pole again.
    Very good idea. I use this lighter leader myself all the time. The jig line breaks and all you have to do is replace your jig leader. 6lb main line 4lb. drop leader with jig or jigs.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNJeff View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. Shipahoy41 I checked out the Shakespeare website before posting here and couldn't find any information I needed. Although maybe I just wasn't looking in the correct area. I'm going to try a few different methods you suggested and see which one works for me.

Thanks again.
    No problem.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a couple of these poles and I ran the line thru the eye down the pole and tied it around the line retainer. Leave the line as long as you want it. By tying the line this way it allows me to raise and lower a jig a few feet by just grabbing the line and pulling on it.
    smiles are contagious, spread them around
    Proud Member of the ZIPPER Club
    & Team Geezer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast