Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Angler Electric Knife

Post Thanks / Like

Default American Angler Electric Knife

I bought an American Angler Electric Saltwater Knife. When I put the blades in only one blade locks in. Is this right? Also there is red gear grease all over the end of the blade when I pull it out. Is this right? Anyway, I hope I don't have to return it.
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

Both blades are supposed to lock in. Make sure each 1 is going in its slot. The grease is normal. I hope you have better luck with yours. Mine gets to hot to hold after a few fish.

Post Thanks / Like

no worries on the grease, I thought I remembered something about
    blades not locking in, so searched and found this:

#8 (permalink) 07-18-2005, 03:43 PM
    Jerry Blake
    Action Fishing Trips - Crappie.com Sponsor Join Date: Apr 2004

I've been using the American Angler 12-volt electric fillet knives for years and they work well - most of the time. Recently I purchased a replacement blade and then a new knife and neither one of them would cut right. Upon close examination of the blades I found that they were ground wrong - the tips of the teeth did not come together. One blade had shorter teeth and on the other blade the inside was ground into a curve towards the tips of the teeth, away from the other blade.

Another issue we've run into with replacement blades is some were made with too small of a hole and a round hole instead of oblong where they lock into the handle so they don't stay locked in.

I contacted the manufacturer – Douglas Quikut – and they are aware of the problems and their suppliers (in China) are supposed have corrected them. The representative I talked to said she thought she could get some blades for me that they make here but when I called her today she said they were currently out of them and wouldn’t be making any more anytime soon. They only make them here when they have a problem getting them from their suppliers.

So, if you get an American Angler from Walmart (or a replacement blade) make sure the hole in the blade where it locks into the motor is oblong and not round and try to see if the tips of the blades come together. If you get one that the blades pop out while your using it or just won’t cut then you’ll have to exchange it.

I personally prefer the curved blade because it is pointed at the end, which makes it easier to make the turn from the first cut down to the spine to the cut along the spine. I don’t have any trouble with leaving meat on the skin. I think that may be caused by too much downward pressure causing the blade to curve to the side, which will leave meat near the bottom of the cut.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Aa Knife

I Was Given 3 Sets To Field Test All The Same Lousy! Too Hot And Won,t Cut.

monkscrappie is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Chinese Junk

MORE CHINESE JUNK THAT DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY. MINE NEVER HAD ENOUGH POWER TO FILET ONE FISH!

MONK Welcome to MonksCrappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'll stick with the Mister Twister Electric filet knife. Never had a problem with it.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I recently bought the Rapala AC/DC model. I used it 2 weeks ago & did over 100 fish. It did get warm, but never anywhere near uncomfortably hot.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." --Patrick F MacManus

Post Thanks / Like

Both blades should lock in place, I have never seen anything American Angler has made that had any quality to it.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one. They come with the red grease in the slots where the blades go in. Also look at the slots the blades snap into there is a small gap in between them that one of the blades can fit into if you put it in wrong. I probably won't be buying another one.

PB Wht. Crappie 2.48 lbs 02-12-2011

frank lawhead is offline RIP Frank - Crystal is now posting on his behalf.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default american angler

There,s a lady that cleans crappie at kentucky lake usin a american angler [pro] with the switch taped closed--I mean she zips thru them--
    She told me the reason mine got to hot to use, was it was a cheaper model---so I bought the pro model and it ain,t got enough power to clean fish ---don,t think I,ll buy any more of them---
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast