Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie Rod & Reel

Stickfish Guest

Default Crappie Rod & Reel

O'boy am I afraid I'm about to open a gigantic can of worms. I used to fish a lot when I was younger, I mean daily! Well that was 25 years ago. We used to go to Clear Lake in Lake County California and catch slabs by the sack full. Interesting that I choose this year to begin crappie fishing again, considering I'm hearing that this year is the best crappie fishing at Clear Lake in 25 years and the fish are averaging 2lbs. A close reliable friend of mine told me that he saw a picture that had some many people fishing off floating dock they started sinking it. :D

All my reels were over 25 years or older and several were stolen, they were all Garcia Mitchell spinning reels purchased by my late father. In the mean time I started fly fishing and love it.

However I just love catching crappie especially with minnows Shhh! Dont tell my fly fishing friends they will think I'm blasphemer.

I have no familiarity with "modern" reels, however I'm not married to Garcia or Mitchell’s. I've noticed from what I’ve read here that it appears that you all purchase reels in that $20-30 range. Are the more expensive reels, unnecessary over-kill for crappie?

I've been looking a Daiwa Kastor KA1500 or KA2000 on Cabela's on sale for $39.95 and a 7' and 7' 6" Daiwa Spinmatic-X rod that is set up with extra guides to make long casts easier for $29.99 at my local Sportsmart. I like the action of the rod it reminds me of the actions of my 9' fly rods. The thing is I do not have a boat so my fishing is bank, dock, or wading. Haven't found a boat I can afford, as I've been a full-time single father for 14 years. I'm not deep pocketed so if I can spend less and get something just as good I'd be happy. By the way these rods would also be used for trout to. I figure I'll set them up with one of the new braided lines in 6 or 8 pound, like Powerline. The most common places for me to fish will be Amador Lake, Clear Lake, New Melones, Lake Camanche. In a couple of those I'm like to catch very large bass or trout while trying to catch a crappie.

Do you all have any other rod/reel combinations you would suggest that would cost less or the same as the above that would be just as good or better.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stickfish and welcome to Crappie.com If you like that combo, go for it. A lot of us spider rig where we may have many poles out at once. For instance, when I am rigged up, I'll have 10 poles out, and that is in front of the boat. My partner may have that many out in the back. So for me, I can't afford to put real expensive reels on every one and they really are not needed as you are not casting with them all day. I do have some better ones (ultra lite) I use for casting for white perch and bream. I also have some for the rare times I go bass fishing.

Bottom line is, if it feels good, do it! Later on if you get into jigging, you may want to get a longer and more sensitive rod.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

fiddlefarter is offline Moderator Crappie Cover Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Mt. Juliet, TN...Percy Priest Lake/Old Hickory Lake
    Post Thanks / Like

My crappie "casting" rod consists of a 6'6 Wally Marshall rod and an older Diawa reel. I'm not sure of the model and its out in my boat. This reel has a little thing that hits the bail and closes it when you first turn the reel. I feel that this keeps the line from twisting like some spinning reels do. Its like you manually closing the bail. But the only model I have seen with this nowadays is the Diawa SS Tournament and it's like $90 so I won't be getting one anytime soon. I think any low to mid grade Shimano or Diawa spinning reel would be more than enough. I think I have about $60 in my best casting rig and I have 2 Wally Marshall 6'6 Rods with WM Pro Series reels.
    Ya ain't holdin' your mouth right.

Post Thanks / Like

my wally marshals are also my favorites,use whatever your comfortable with!!welcome an good fishin to ya!!!Dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stickfish, Although this is my first reply, Welcome. I think you would enjoy any rod that feels comfortable. My choice is my Sam Heaton 12' Super sensitive, or my Wally Marshal 7' .Something you mentioned caught my attention. You said that a boat is not affordable at this time. You also mentioned fly fishing. Have you given thought to a float tube" I am 63 yrs old, and simply love mine.I have a boat and canoe, but it's sooo simple to throw it in the jeep, pull it out and work the outer edges of even fairly large bodies of water. Mine is a Fish Cat#4, but they make much cheaper models if this is too pricy. Look over the ones that allow you to sit high or out of the water. I have been seeing a lot more of these neat tools obtained by people that had been on the bank watching me. The reason I made mention of my age is because these are not a lot of work to get around in. If you have waders ,you are most of the way there .Fins and float tube and life jacket will get you going. The hard part would be getting your son out of it so you can have a turn. lol. My grandson has had one since he was 8. Just-a-thought, Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Mitchell 300X for my all purpose rod and reel combo. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I gave my other half a Mitchell Avocet UL reel for his birthday last year and he has had some problems with it, but he has more problems than I do anyway. He gave me the same, but I haven't spooled it yet as I want to get a new rod to go with it. In the meantime, I'm using a WM UL reel on a short Shakespeare Excursion rod that I found in the bargain bin. It' s been a good rod, but I've about worn out the tip eye. The WM reel is okay, but it's jerky on a slow retrieve. I fish cast and retrieve almost exclusively.
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Hi Stickfish and welcome to Crappie.com If you like that combo, go for it. A lot of us spider rig where we may have many poles out at once. For instance, when I am rigged up, I'll have 10 poles out, and that is in front of the boat. My partner may have that many out in the back. So for me, I can't afford to put real expensive reels on every one and they really are not needed as you are not casting with them all day. I do have some better ones (ultra lite) I use for casting for white perch and bream. I also have some for the rare times I go bass fishing.

Bottom line is, if it feels good, do it! Later on if you get into jigging, you may want to get a longer and more sensitive rod.
    IBNFSHN;; Stickfish;;; I'm a Pole man myself i was raised up on a cane pole when i was about 15 we bought us those fiberglass two piece poles ( man we were in steppin in high cotton then) those were our sunday fishin poles. Never have changed except to add a reel on 1 or 2 for deep fishin

Post Thanks / Like

I have been using the zebco T-11 micro spins on Wally Marshall Rods or BPS tourney specials - this is what I fish minnows tight ling or under a slip cork - I use the wally marshall reels for casting jigs - not a whole lot of money involved - I have more money in my line that I cast with - power pro 10/2 - they make any reel work much better
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I found a real good deal on some 12' crappie poles (I don't know the brand name) and I use Zebco 33 reels on them. I would bet (if there was a way to prove it) that more crappie have been caught on Zebco 33's than all of the rest put together. I often buy my 33's at yard sales for $5 (with rod). They last, are very user friendly, and if you hook a big fish, they have the stuff to bring him in. I have seen some 20# fish (not crappie) caught with Zebco 33's. Don't buy the cheaper Zebcos, but a 33 will work.
    I might add that I am a old cane pole guy and like them as well as more expensive rigs.