Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: G Loomis Rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default G Loomis Rods?

Does anyone use them? If so, are they worth the big bucks you have to pay?

Just curious.:D
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

I tell ya, Stinkfinger. I just about had a heart attack when I bought a Sam Heaton 12' BnM rod and found that it was $50 something dollars. I still haven't told my wife I spent that much.

There's no doubt that G Loomis makes some of the finest rods built today, but would I go and pay $300 or more for a rod to catch Crappie? Sure, if I was some tournament pro, but I'm not. No, G Loomis is way to expensive for me.

Besides, I'm fishing for fun as well as good eating. The cheaper I can do the more fun it is.

Post Thanks / Like

A BPS rod will catch just as many as that Loomis rod - I don't see how you can get much more sesative than a Sam Heaton, Wally Marshall, or a Richard Williams rod - if I was a big fly fisherman maybe - but for spinning eqipment save your money and go with some of the equipment I mentioned
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

GLoomis is a green carp rod. Made by Gary Loomis.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was searching for the perfect ultra light I looked real close at the Loomis rods and they relly didn't have anything I liked. I wound up getting a St Croix. But the more I used it the more I didn't like it. One of those deals where it just didn't feel right. Then I happened to come across an All Star Elite. As soon as I picked up, I knew it was the one. I put a small Pinnacle Alyssa reel on it because it was the lightess reel I could find. As it turned out, it is by far the best combo I have ever had. I can cast it all day long and my arm doesn't hurt like some of the others. Last father's day one of my boys gave me a real nice Shimano combo. I'm not normally a fan of Shimano rods (I love their reels) but this one comes close to being as good as my All Star. If you are shopping for a new rod, go around and pick them all up. You will know it when you pick the "right" one up. Like someone else said, you don't have to pay a fortune to get a good rig and catch fish.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Ok all, thanks for the responses. I appreciate them.

Actually, I wouldn't pay that much for a rod. I was just curious about replies from anyone that used a G Loomis.

Sometimes I think people will pay anything if it makes them feel better.
    AMERICANS: Willing to cross a frozen river to kill you, in your sleep, on Christmas, totally not kidding, we've done it.

Post Thanks / Like

The gap between the upper end rods and all the rest has REALLY narrowed in the last few years. I was wrapping Lamiglass graphite blanks at a gunshop in Nashville in 1975. Now that was an easy sell, going from fiberglass. It depends on what kind of fishing you do. I use a lot of soft plastic minnow type baits, no weight but the hook. Its all in the tapers. A quick enough tip to cast a tiny bait, sensitive enough to transmit the bite and stiff enough to set the hook on a long line jerking the hook through the plastic bait, rigged weedless. Thats asking a lot out of a rod. If there was a perfect rod and it was rated at 100% you pay the big bucks to get that last 5 to 10%. I sold Loomis rods for about 15 years. If you are fishing a live minnow and a bobber I wouldn't even try to sell you one. It would still be nice to fish with but you could do the same thing for a lot less. If your walking a bait through a tree and you want to feel it going from limb to limb it does make a difference. Loomis had a program were we got rods at 60% off retail or I would have never known. This babble wasn't about price or value, just rods. Got a little windy, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

I would not buy a G Loomis for ultra light, but I do have one that is for bass fishing and is of the weight and length I was looking for. It cost more than I wanted to pay, but it has already paid some back to me. I had a problem with my boat and I was sitting on the deck when I had to spin around and move. Well I ended up sitting on my G. Loomis rod and it broke.

Now for the good part, they replaced it no questions ask and it has this guarantee for life. So no matter how you break it, they replace it free except for shipping.

A tip for anyone looking for a G. Loomis...I know a guy that found one in a pawn shop with a broken tip and he bought it for $10 and then sent it back to G. Loomis and they replaced it! So if you have some spare time you may want to check out your local pawn shop. That rod sells for $350.00!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!