Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick tip for all the "new" members

Post Thanks / Like

Default Quick tip for all the "new" members

For some this will be a given, but we seem to have quite a few "new to crappie fishing members" that I figured could tuck a few simple tricks into their back pockets.
    Do you ever wonder why the guy next to you catches three fish to your one?
    Do you ever think about what your jig looks like underwater?

Let's take a look at a typical jig rigging. When you tie a jig on this is normally what it will look like:

Tied this way, this is what it will look like in the water:

How can you increase your odds of convincing a crappie to eat your jig? Make it look natural. How can you do this with the jig you just tied on? Easy - slide the knot to the back of the eyelet. It will look like this:

By making this simple, yet effective change, that same jig will look like this in the water:

More natural presentation - almost alive.

Post Thanks / Like

Zig I wish you could tie a knot on me to make me look almost alive.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice demonstration, Zig, that saves a lot of typing plus there can be no room for misinterpretation. The photos will almost stand alone without the text. I sometimes use a tiny drop of fishin' glue to help hold the knot in place even longer.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I've seen, heard, and read ...

about that "trick", Zig ....... and I believe it to be a "plus" when vertical jigging, or using the "float-n-fly" (bobber/jig) method. But, when casting a jig, most of the time the line will slip to the top of the jig eye, on the cast (unless you glue it down, like "labill"). But, that hasn't proved to be a "bad" thing, in the case of casting & slow retrieving. Since the line is allowed to be a little slack, during a slow retrieve, it will actually form an elongated (sideways) S (from rod tip to jig). The line comes out of the rod tip and hangs in a semi-slack curve, from there to the water's surface ... under the water, the line is pulled into a reverse curve by the weight of the "falling" jig. With the knot at the top of the jig eye, this sets the jig in a somewhat horizontal position. With the knot at the "backside" of the jig eye ... wouldn't that put the jig in a "nosedive" position ? I'm not disrespecting or countering your "tip" ....... I just want to clarify, to the "members", that there isn't any "one, single, all purpose" way of tying on a jig. I used to use a loop knot, to allow my jigs to "swim naturally" ... until I realized I was hanging up the "loop", more often than the jig (esp in timber). And I do use that particular "knot trick", when vertical jigging or "Vertical Casting" .... which reminds me - I forgot to mention that fact, in my Vertical Casting article, that's posted on this site. D'oh !! (smacks self on forehead) ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go, Big Zig. Crystal clear.

Post Thanks / Like

Great one Zig
    I've fished jigs off and on for several years with limited success until that past year I caught on to the way the line is tied on makes all the difference in the world. It is jsut simple little details that are often over looked that make a difference.

It is also super that we can all share out knowledge.

Thanks for sharing
    Ranger375
    [email protected]
    North end of Lake Shelbyville

Post Thanks / Like

In south carolina we call that setting your jig. Setting it up right that is. Also some fella's I know use split rings on there jigs when they vertical jigg. Have any of you ever tried that personly I set my jigs just like big Z said and it really works great. Good lesson.
    If you don't get hung every-once-n-a-while you ain't jigg'n it right..:D
    Member of:
    South Carolina Crappie Association TX. Trail
    Vexan Pro-staff Member

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiepappy describes the finer points well. This rigging excels when vertical jigging. When casting you are already making a horizontal presentation.
    With the knot at the "backside" of the jig eye ... wouldn't that put the jig in a "nosedive" position ?
    Last pic shows the postion. Whatever weight is hanging off the back of the jig will determine exactly where the balance point is.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all I would like to say hello. This is my first post on the board. I have been reading the board for a few weeks and thought I would join. As you can see by my board name I'm a Mississippi boy who loves to crappie fish. Big Zig saw this post and thought I would give a tip of how I tie a jig on that always keeps your jig at a 90 degree angle in the water. I don't have pictures but will try to explain it. First put the line through the eye of the jig and pull about 6 inches through. Then pull the line around so you have it doubled up with the line leading to the pole. Tie an overhand knot and pull the jig through once, twice and then work the knot close to the jig eye but not all the way. These will leave the jig on a small loop. I was showed this knot by a professional crappie fishermen friend of mine and it has proved to be a great knot.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Big Zig
    Crappiepappy describes the finer points well. This rigging excels when vertical jigging. When casting you are already making a horizontal presentation.

Last pic shows the postion. Whatever weight is hanging off the back of the jig will determine exactly where the balance point is.

A couple of years back a pro from B&M showed me these at the Basspro shop spring show. He had a jig tied with just line to it and then had jig tied with one of these and a had a clear jar showing how each looked haning in the water. The snaps will always hold the jig level. He gave me several sample packs and they do work. I use them when I go dipping. These are using for flyfishing there are several sizes and the small are small.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast