PDA

View Full Version : Cleats- metal or plastic?

backtocrappie
06-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I wanna put new cleats on my boat (14.5') , but I also wanna keep weight down. Metal or plastic? 4 inch or 6? If you have used plastic and think it's crap lemme know, please.

grits and gravy
06-19-2008, 07:44 PM
How much can a metal cleat weigh. I figure about 5 lbs each at the most, so if you put four on the boat that would be about 20 lbs. When you think that your boat probably weighs 500 lbs at the least, plus all of the equipment and gear you put in there, what diffenence is 20 lbs going to make? Just my opinion.

Jerry Blake
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I have plastic tie-off cleats on my 22-foot Blue Wave and they are holding up fine and I keep it tied up in a slip when I'm not using it. I would use the biggest screws or preferably bolts that will fit through the holes.

plantdr
06-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I am sure you know this but Cleats, metal or plastic are for holding not pulling. If you just need a place to tie off the anchor rope or tie off at the dock, plastic is fine. Be sure to fasten the cleat securely, preferably with a bolt not a screw if possible. Use the bow and transom eyes for the hard work. My boat loaded out weighs well over 1800#s. It came with 4 metal cleats, but I have a plastic 4" cleat up front that I use all the time for "holdin". Been useing it for 3 years now.

backtocrappie
06-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys. I have a small and inherently heavy glass hull which makes adding gear difficult. I'm going with plastic, every ounce counts.