Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Question(s)

Post Thanks / Like

Question Battery Question(s)

Greetings! I've read through the 20 pages on the Electronics board and didn't see this addressed. I'm hopeful someone has done this or knows it can be done.
    Currently, I have a 24volt Terrova that has (2) 12v batteries wired in series,
    dedicated to TM(nothing else connected) and charged by an onboard 2 bank charger. I would like to extend my run time and would like to go to 4 dedicated TM batteries (2 pairs each wired in parallel; then the pairs in series) that would result in a 24v output with extended amp hours.
    Question ? Is this doable ? Also, if yes, can I use my 2 bank charger and just let it take twice as long to recharge or should I put another 2 bank charger in the mix ?
    Thanks for your input folks,
    cd

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, it will work, one charger will take twice as long to charge all 4 batteries

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Keep in mind that the batteries should be near the same age and of equal capacity(preferably the same brand). I base this on the fact that the positive plate thickness of the internal cells determine the capacity and longevity of the battery. The positive plates begin to deteriorate (electrolysis) as soon as the battery is active and this sediment falls to the bottom inside of the battery. My limited knowledge on the subject. Catman is the battery expert.

Remember the heavier the battery, the better. Positive plate size=big=good.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a job for...............Super Canepole!
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

What kind and size of batteries do you have now? You can almost double the capacity of "typical" TM batteries by going to a larger, higher-end battery. As was said, you really want the batteries to be similar in size, age and condition or you will see very little improvement from the additional batteries.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    What kind and size of batteries do you have now? You can almost double the capacity of "typical" TM batteries by going to a larger, higher-end battery. As was said, you really want the batteries to be similar in size, age and condition or you will see very little improvement from the additional batteries.
    sorry cat, I can't type very well. (name)
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

CatFan, My current batteries are the ones you've raved about; WalMart Maxx's. I've been pleased with them also. I saw the reference to same age/conditon on the electronics board, just wasn't sure I could do this "parellel/series one big 24 volt battery thing". Sounds like it is doable. Have any of you ever run this way ? I ask because another option would be to have 4 batteries and employ a switch to toggle to the fresh pair after the first pair start wearing down.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the idea of the toggle switch is better. When the first set dies, you know you're half done. That makes sense to me compared to not knowing how much capacity you have left when you have all four wired together.

Also, it means you can keep using the pair that you've got, without having to discard them and buy four new batteries.

Let me add that I'd like to go fishing with someone who can use up two batteries. I have one group 27 on my 50 pound Minn Kota, and I have never even come close to using it up. If you can burn through two batteries, you have some incredible fishing persistence (or else a really heavy boat).

Post Thanks / Like

Switching is certainly worth considering. You can connect the negatives to the same line, and just switch the hot lead from one pair to the other. You could do it without a switch if you don't mind the two minutes it takes to swap the lead to another battery. A downside is that charging would require an extra charger or switching leads. I'd recommend another charger if you plan to fish the next day and want them charged overnight.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah... What CatFan said!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast