Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bad day for electronics

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Bad day for electronics

No one needs to respond to this - I'm just blowing off steam.
    Yesterday, we decided to go out for a little while since it wasn't nearly as windy as predicted. Doug checked the fish finder, which has been giving us problems (switching itself off) and this time, the switch wouldn't work at all, so that stayed home. Then he checked the battery and it showed full charge, so off we go.

We headed to a small lake nearby, launched and picked our way through the timber across the lake to get back into a sheltered cove to fish. We weren't out twenty minutes when the wind kicked up to about 20 mph, blowing us off our spot. When Doug tried to reposition, - no headway. Battery had nearly discharged. The prop of the transom trolling motor was turning, but barely, so we start paddling. This thing is set up like a row boat, but the seats are too high to row without cracking your knees on every stroke, so we each took an oar and started paddling. At least we're both experieinced at canoing. You know how hard it is to paddle a light weight boat through standing timber in a 20 mph wind?
    We finally hailed a couple of guys bass fishing, who graciously towed us back to the ramp. Good thing I was wearing my BASS hat. ;-)

So looks like we need to replace the battery and probably the fishfinder. before we go out next week. I guess we can't complain. We bought both in early August of 2002. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Roberta,
    You may want to try just the battery first, most electronics have a automatic off feature if battery voltage drops below a certain level. Just an idea, and it may save you some money!

Shaun
    Don't take life so seriously, no one lives through it anyhow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I should clarify

The fish finder is a Humminbird Pirahna IV portable. It's been doing the switch businees whether it's on AA batteries or the boat wiring. There's a loose wire in there somewhere, because it acts up if the screen is tilted all the way up. Probably cost more to have Humminbird fix it than to replace it. - Roberta
    "Anglers are born honest,
    but they get over it." - Ed Zern

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Fish Finder Problem

Hi Roberta, It's been a while. Hope all is well with you and Doug. Roberta my Eagle ID was doing the same thing and I had a poor connection in the clip that clips on the postive post on the battery, I cut and re soldered the wire to the clip and that took care of my problem. Hope this helps you. Your Friend Jimmy S.