Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing with a 4 cyl EFI toyota Truck

Post Thanks / Like

Question Towing with a 4 cyl EFI toyota Truck

My daugthter totaled my 2005 F150 this week(she is OK). So i am left with a 1988 Toyota 4WD to try to tow my boat with. I cant find the tow rating on the web. My boat is a 1751 Polarkraft with a 40hp motor. Has anyone had any experience towing with these trucks? Thanks for the help!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappisaurusrex View Post
    My daugthter totaled my 2005 F150 this week(she is OK). So i am left with a 1988 Toyota 4WD to try to tow my boat with. I cant find the tow rating on the web. My boat is a 1751 Polarkraft with a 40hp motor. Has anyone had any experience towing with these trucks? Thanks for the help!:D
    Glad to hear your daugther is OK. I tow my 17.5 ft bass tracker with a 40hp with my Ford Ranger 4 cyl. A little slower than towing with my big truck but have had no problems so far.
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

glad to hear your daughter is okay.... I had a 1986 4 cylinder Toyota truck 4wd straight drive. I towed a red belly tractor with a heavy trailer all the time from home to my deer lease. Just gotta take it easy when you stopping. The truck actually pulled pretty darn good. I did go and had a better hitch welded to the bumper and bolted to the frame.
    Last edited by poppop; 06-15-2008 at 11:28 AM.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I pull my 16' Carolina Skiff with a 50 hp. with my 6 cyc. straight drive Toy all the time. My clutch slips in 4th so I just take it easy getting up to speed. Does as good as any vehicles at the ramp too.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had 2 'yotas and pulled everything from a lawntractor to a 22ft deck boat all over the place with no issues. Shouldn't be any problem at all pulling that boat with it. Last one I had I pulled a 1660 Sea Ark with a 50 and a boat load of decoys 100 miles round trip on weekends

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to here that your daughter is OK. I pull a 4,000 travel trailer, going is a little slow but we get there.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I Used To Pull A 1976 Arrowglass (heavy Fiberglass Boat) With A 140 Hp Johnson Behind My Mazda B2000 Pickup Truck. It Was A Little Slow Up Hills And You Had To Be Careful Stopping But I Did It For About 3 Years With No Real Problems. Only 1 Time I Had A Problem Pulling Out At A Steep Ramp Other Than That It Did Ok. You Should Be Ok As Long As You Becareful.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help.:D i'll let you know how it does.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a 1988 nissan 4wd 4 cylinder ive used to tow my 20 ft sea ark with since i got the boat back in 1998. i havent had no trouble towing it, but like someone else said, its slow on the long grades on the interstate, but it will get you there. the boats so big it looks like the boat is pushing the truck instead of the truck pulling the boat.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

if it is automatic and you have to pull it long distances, I would invest in a transmission cooler

If it is straight drive and you are having to grind on the clutch hard to get it out of the water I would use 4wd and put it in the granny range to save the clutch to pull it out of the water
    2018 Tracker Super Guide 40hp 4 Stroke
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Minn Kota Powerdrive with iPilot
    Marine Raider Rod Holders Modified for Versatrack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast