Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Favorite Method Trolling Road Runners(1 or 2 per line)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite Method Trolling Road Runners(1 or 2 per line)

What is your favorite method of trolling with road runners? I started out trolling one 1/8th rr per pole and sometimes (2) 1/16ths per pole. When using two road runners per pole, i would use a swivel and get the two rr's about 16 to 18 inches apart.

This year i haven't had to go deep untill now and i was thinking of using (2) 1/8ths rr's per line about 18 inches apart. If on the lake and i break off, i just tie back on one. Next time out i was going to troll (1) 3/16th rr type head and Big Head jigs that i think are 1/4th size(1 per line) and mix in a couple of the above.(2) 1/8ths rr's on same line. I troll atleast 8 and up to 12 poles. Favorite rr speed is .08 mph but if shallow, faster to pull them up some and if in deep water even slower. Favorite Bandit speed 1.4 to 1.8mph. If lots of wind, i like trolling Bandits better (expensive to lose)(6 to 8 Bandits trolling at once).

It seems the fish are 12 feet and even lots deeper here now. Any of you that troll road runners, how far do you try to keep the road runners apart, if you fish 2 rr's per line?

I wanted to finish on this, this year they came out with a 50th Anniversary Gold Series Road Runner. It is 4 differ colors. You can read about them here or see a picture of them.

Tom Cannon, Outdoor-z: 2008’s Hottest Tackle Picks

I have had really good luck on two of the four. 1 and 3rd in picture. Same type head. At about $2.50 per pop they are expensive to lose but still about half what a Bandit is. I normally do not use but one at a time because i do lose jigs everytime i fish or Bandits. I am not sure if it is the shiney finish foil head, the feathers or if it is the gold flash blade that really does show off but for me they work. In all fairness, i have not tried the white one. Do not worry if you fish with it for along while and the feathers look more like a dead rat, it just keeps on catching fish.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Bingo ...

I rarely troll, but when I do ... and use RR's ... I use only one at a time, per rod ... and only one rod at a time, in hand. Mostly I use this method as a "search" method, and all I'm trying to do is cover a section of bank, usually at a certain depth contour, just trying to find spawning beds or isolated spots of cover. Otherwise, I'm casting the RR's
    I've done better casting them, than trolling them, and rarely lose one when I cast them. I use the 1/16oz marabou solid chartreuse, and trim the tail feathers ... cutting them off about halfway between the tip of the feathers and the hook bend. I feel that this accomplishes two things : keeps the "nippers" down to a minimum - stops the feathers from tangling in the swivel, during the cast. The small, stubby profile of this "trimmed" bait is no detriment to the number of strikes ... and I usually don't lose a fish, once hooked, since they are mostly hooked in the roof of the mouth.

If you haven't already seen it, check the post about Cabela's sale on RR's !! Locally, off the shelf price is $3.00/2pk. Just a few months ago, they were selling at $2.50/2pk.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

When I troll RR's I use a 1/32 oz with marabou tail. Have several colors I like and mostly in the spring and fall. I have caught crappie on this in 20' or a little more water depth and the fish were down like 9'-12', but it worked. Last time I did this was in early May this year.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

are u guys tippin ur roadrunners with minnows? and how much line do u let out in 7-10ft of water with 1/16oz rr?

Post Thanks / Like

Road runners are to ezpensive for me, the only time that I buy them is when I catch them on clearance.
    Allatoona Bandit

Post Thanks / Like

I keep it simple. One rr per rod, two rods max.

I learned from this forum that the best way to get them to where you want them is to put a 3/8 oz bullet weight on the line and then three No. 5 split shot about 2' up from the rr or whatever you're attempting to troll with.

I put a rod out port and starboard and let them down to the desired depth by a simple method of paying out the line to the first rod guide X number of times until I get there.
    When I troll, I keep the lines near vertical but no more than 15 degrees off vertical.

This method just works like a champ whether you are trolling 30 feet or 5 feet, it's all the same and it's
    S I M P L E. :D

aj

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink GrassBass ....

Quote Originally Posted by GrassBass View Post
    are u guys tippin ur roadrunners with minnows? and how much line do u let out in 7-10ft of water with 1/16oz rr?
    I don't tip my RR's with anything ... casting or trolling.

Amount of line ?? I normally just cast it out, probably about 40ft ... and start trolling on high speed. I'll slow the trolling speed down, depending on depth of water I'm in and how deep I want the RR to go. But, take into account that I'm using a 5 speed TM (42lb thrust) on a Tracker TX17, with no GPS or other speed indicator equipment. That's why I normally only troll with one rod, in hand ... so, if I get hung up, I can turn around and go back & try and get it unhung :p
    If I was trolling in 7-10ft of water, with a 1/16oz RR ... I probably wouldn't let out more than twice as much line as the depth of water, and use speed to keep RR off the bottom. But, more than likely, I wouldn't be trolling a RR in water that shallow ... more likely, I'd be casting it (and ahead of the boat, to avoid spooking shallow fish).

... cp
    Likes shipahoy41 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

So what trailers are you guys running behind your RR jigs, wether trolling or casting?? bug bodies, curly tails,turbo tails?? Or do you guys only use the marabou?? What colors/combo's seem to be best??