Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Line

Post Thanks / Like

Question Favorite Line

O.K. I know we all have our favorites, but I'm looking for a good line for casting jigs. What are your favorites? Looking for a line with low memory, been using the Mr. Crappie line, but it is bad to hold memory.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olelucky
    O.K. I know we all have our favorites, but I'm looking for a good line for casting jigs. What are your favorites? Looking for a line with low memory, been using the Mr. Crappie line, but it is bad to hold memory.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

You might want to try the Power Pro 8/1 (8lb test with 1 lb diameter)....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GABoy
    You might want to try the Power Pro 8/1 (8lb test with 1 lb diameter)....
    Have you started using that GAboy? I know you mentioned that you might give it a try. I've been using the 10/2, but next time I buy pp, it will be the 8/1.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys I may try the Iron Silk in 6lb test.
    Thanks again!

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb olelucky ...

if you need a line with no stretch & will work great on spinning reels ... PowerPro is hard to beat.
    if you need an inexpensive mono (clear/blu) that's good ... BPS Excel is it.
    if you need a line that you can see easily ... Iron Silk in "Solar Mint" is good.

I use all three of these lines ... and I can tell you - PowerPro is tough stuff, no stretch, & limp. BPS Excel is good line, and is inexpensive enough to change lines often and not break the budget. Iron Silk has performed well for me, in the short time I've used it. It still will retain memory coils, on a small diameter spool ... but not near as bad as Trilene XT or Stren Gold in the same lb test.
    ........ just my observations/opinions .... luck2ya ....cp

in a VAN down by the RIVER, Georgia/Alabama line
    Post Thanks / Like

pappy,
    I use 4# trilene xt on all my crappie rigs. I even use it for my double jig and minnow leader for trolling to give more action to the jig or minnow. Only trouble is strength. It breaks very easy when barely hung. I have lande a 7 pound hybrid on it but I followed it out to deep water.
    I have not had any trouble from memory. This line cast very well and is light so the jig falls more natural and a minnow can really move around on it. I like it. I had some of that new SS supreme on a micro spin. It was awful.

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Hey Smitty ...

I used to use Trilene XT Solar 4#, almost exclusively for casting jigs ... until they discontinued it. I probably still have a spool of it and XT in the lo-vis green. I never found it to be any weaker than other 4# lines, but not really any stronger either. I just found it to have a bad memory problem, when spooled on UL reels (with very small diameter spools) for any length of time. I had to use 4lb line, back then, as I was fishing with a couple of Mitchell Zero Gravity Carbon rods; and their tip eyes are so small that a 6# line would not cast thru them. Since switching to my Sam Heaton Signature Series rod, as my primary jig casting rod - I've gone to Iron Silk Solar Mint in 4lb ... then up to 6lb, which is what I'm using on it now. So far, so good ... though it will still maintain a certain amount of memory coil. A little spray of Reel Magic will make it a little "slicker", and cast a little better, but doesn't seem to soften it up -- guess because it's a polymer line, rather than a true mono, so it doesn't actually absorb the Reel Magic.

I have tried the PowerPro 8/2 (moss green) .... bought a spool from my local "BASS" shop. I really like it, but I wish I had known it comes in "yellow" ... I can't really see the moss green line, very well - luckily, I don't have to see it well .... it transmits the slightest "tic", right thru the rod. A "tic", felt with mono ... becomes a "thump", felt with PowerPro. I may just have to purchase a spool of the "yellow", and try it out. Then again - since PowerPro admits that the "coloration" isn't "permanent", since the "Spectra" material is so dense ......... I may try a spool of the "White" PowerPro - and dye it with Spike-it Dip-n-glo ...maybe something in a Chartreuse Gamefish scent or maybe Chartreuse Garlic scent :rolleyes: ....LOL!! Then again, maybe the "unscented" would be best ... I'd hate to have the fish bite the line, and ignore my baits .... LOL!!! ...........luck2ya ........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappster
    Have you started using that GAboy? I know you mentioned that you might give it a try. I've been using the 10/2, but next time I buy pp, it will be the 8/1.
    I have used it occassionally for certain applications, but not as my regular trolling line....I still use Mr. Crappie (4lb and sometimes 6lb) line for my long-line trolling......

I do like the 8/1 Power Pro.
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Iron silk is real bad about nicking and then lb test goes to zero. Had 30 lb on catfish rod was not happy at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone use Maxima? It's kind of the king here in the NW for salmon/steelhead. I've been using the Crystal Ivory for the last few years and like it. 4lb only unless your casting somthing big or a bobber. It is really tough. There is a spot I fish befor I can get the boat out that I have to drag the fish over some rocks. Works great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast