Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hey Cane Pole

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Cane Pole

Please clear my thinking up for me. A full wave bridge rectifier, like just about every outboard made uses, has 4 connections. Ground, 2 inputs and output. A tach is normally connected to one of the inputs. Now visualize a drawing of the circuit with the ground on top, output on the bottom and inputs on each side. The tach is connected to the right side. Am I correct in saying that if any of the diodes open, the tach will still work? Of course if one of the diodes on the right side shorts, the tach will not work. How about if one of them on the left side shorts? Will the tach still work? I use to know all this but can't remember anymore. Thanks
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I dunno for sure Bill..

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Please clear my thinking up for me. A full wave bridge rectifier, like just about every outboard made uses, has 4 connections. Ground, 2 inputs and output. A tach is normally connected to one of the inputs. Now visualize a drawing of the circuit with the ground on top, output on the bottom and inputs on each side. The tach is connected to the right side. Am I correct in saying that if any of the diodes open, the tach will still work? Of course if one of the diodes on the right side shorts, the tach will not work. How about if one of them on the left side shorts? Will the tach still work? I use to know all this but can't remember anymore. Thanks
    Usually if a diode opens in a full wave rectifier, the voltages drops, but the circuit may still work, depending on the operating voltage of the affected circuit.
    A tach could probably work, but I would doubt it's accuracy.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Usually if a diode opens in a full wave rectifier, the voltages drops, but the circuit may still work, depending on the operating voltage of the affected circuit.
    A tach could probably work, but I would doubt it's accuracy.

Tom
    OK, thats what I was thinking. I finally found a schematic for one. It looks like if one of the diodes on the left side shorted, the tach may or may not work, but not accurately. Thanks Tom.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va