Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night lights and bugs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night lights and bugs

Do the submersible lights attract mosquitoes? I am thinking about trying some night fishing but this year so far the mosquito's have been really bad. And for inside the boat light what is best for not attracting the bugs?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The submersible lights don't attract as many bugs as a light above water. If you are using a generator for power you could try a clip on light with a yellow bug light for the inside the boat light. I just use the clip on light with a 12 volt RV light bulb, and only turn it on when needed. Paint your rod tip white and you will be able to see them with just the submersible light. Also welcome to the board.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

Get a submersible light and submerge it just underneath the water. That attracts the phytoplankton, which attracts the zooplankton, which attracts the aquatic insects (not mosquitos), which attracts baitfish, then comes the crappie. Like creekslick said, just get you a light inside the boat that you will only use when baiting up or retying etc. A clip on hat light works great also. If you have to have a light on all the time in the boat try and elevate as high as you can. This will help keep the bugs further away.
    Last edited by bassturd; 06-13-2008 at 08:51 AM.
    bamaboyshunting.com

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a picture of the clip on light with 12 volt bulb.

WALLY MARSHALL PRO STAFF
    CATCHIN' CRAPPIE GUIDE SERVICE
    CREEKS ROD TRANSPORT RACK
    870-307-2572

Post Thanks / Like

The submerged lights don't attract many bugs, but any light you have in the boat will. I don't keep a light on in the boat. I just keep a head lamp and click it on when I need it. I also burn a Thermacell and a citronella candle during the night and we never have problems with bugs.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

Post Thanks / Like

if your worried about bugs then rig up a kerosene lantern and a pole to hold it up in the air about 10 feet. Give you plenty of light to see what your doing and cooks the skeeters too!

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Black Crow View Post
    The submerged lights don't attract many bugs, but any light you have in the boat will. I don't keep a light on in the boat. I just keep a head lamp and click it on when I need it. I also burn a Thermacell and a citronella candle during the night and we never have problems with bugs.
    Citronella good stuff. Smells good too. Get a buzz off it when drinking Budweiser.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

like creekslick said i also use a clip on light with a 12 volt rv bulb but i put mine on a pole about 12' tall. i have a hole in front of my windshield and the pole goes through the hole into the floor of the boat, its a solid mount and keeping it 12' tall keeps most of the bugs away from us while i fish.
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Thermacell...it works...run a search on this site for more opinions.

Post Thanks / Like

If you anchor, get you a thermacell. They're amazing for hunting and fishing and are one of the few products that really work as advertised. If you're running around a lot or it's windy, they're not as effective, but if you're bank fishing or sitting still, they can't be beat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast