Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Earth and Humminbird

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Google Earth and Humminbird

The red line is a gpx track file I generated and loaded on the sd/mmx card (to load on my Humminbird) and also exported the file to Google Earth.

This track is in the center of the main channel of the Big Sandy River. The main channel of the Big Sandy is about 150 to 175 feet across for the most part. I will set the Humminbird to scan/record 100 feet on both sides the boat. This should show all the "loot" at the drop offs along the channel.

If you look closely at the bottom center of the map, my track and the main channel are off by about .3 miles. My stuff is right on. Don't trust Google Earth for accuracy.

This is why I got a Humminbird. Too bad file management sucks. I could be so easy to map things out if good thoughts were put into recording playbacks. But, HB is the only player one the field.

This is pretty simple stuff. I am getting old. Don't need complications.
    Last edited by Cane Pole; 09-11-2009 at 06:41 PM.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

That new 3D map I have also has Ariel (photo down) overlays you can look at. It also has little camera icons on the lakes and when you put the cursor on it and hit Wpt it shows a panoramic pic of that area.

Cool stuff with these GPS units now days.

Guess I need to take a few more pics of different things is has.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Humminbird can't do this stuff Skip. I generated the track on my laptop from Ky Hydrographics maps using Oziexplorer and then exported the files to Google Earth and Easy GPS. Only then could I load the Humminbird with a gpx track.

Like I said before, Ky Hydrographics maps of our area blows all maps away, bar none. I just got the Humminbird side scan to verify stuff.

I like doing this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 797 this spring and have used it some. (This side business I started after I retired is working me to death) I really like the unit and am looking forward to getting it in the river here and finding stuff. When I got my new chip I tried to get one of the 3-D versions and they said it wouldn't run on my model. It would be interesting to have that on the system and run a split screen with the side imaging.

I have run into the problem you talked about with the large GPS symbol when you are going back to a marked spot. That should be a pretty simple fix. It covers about and acre and a half of water no matter how far you zoom in. :D

I really like the side scanning feature and wouldn't trade it for anything out there right now, but I wish someone else would get into the market and cause a little competition. I'll bet there would be a flurry of neat improvements coming out in a hurry. Something about MBA's and their marketing studys and business plans that make them want to squeeze everything out of you they can. We just have to keep after them.

A day late, a dollar short and two drinks behind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lag View Post
    I got a 797 this spring and have used it some. (This side business I started after I retired is working me to death) I really like the unit and am looking forward to getting it in the river here and finding stuff. When I got my new chip I tried to get one of the 3-D versions and they said it wouldn't run on my model. It would be interesting to have that on the system and run a split screen with the side imaging.

I have run into the problem you talked about with the large GPS symbol when you are going back to a marked spot. That should be a pretty simple fix. It covers about and acre and a half of water no matter how far you zoom in. :D

I really like the side scanning feature and wouldn't trade it for anything out there right now, but I wish someone else would get into the market and cause a little competition. I'll bet there would be a flurry of neat improvements coming out in a hurry. Something about MBA's and their marketing studys and business plans that make them want to squeeze everything out of you they can. We just have to keep after them.
    I agree about the squeeze. No competition.

Humminbird has a "patch" for the icon issue. I would not call it a fix. Need to upgrade your unit.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I was trying the same thing yestersay....matching up some of my gps co-ordinates from my boat gps with google earth.....and trying to make a map. Google earth put some of my brush piles....about 12 miles from the lake..in the middle of a field...Canepole is right...google earth is not to accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Humminbird can't do this stuff Skip. I generated the track on my laptop from Ky Hydrographics maps using Oziexplorer and then exported the files to Google Earth and Easy GPS. Only then could I load the Humminbird with a gpx track.

Like I said before, Ky Hydrographics maps of our area blows all maps away, bar none. I just got the Humminbird side scan to verify stuff.

I like doing this stuff.
    I just looked at the top down photos on my unit and that is pretty awesome too. It shows the land and water with pictures and the contour lines and trails you put on are showing too.

It will not have the pics for the last zoom in level, but just above that you can look at the unit as like a picture with contour lines in.

Pics tomorrow,
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Good.

I wish the electronics folks would reach some common ground (Nmea2000) so this stuff would work together. Never happen. Too many roosters in the hen house. One of 'em always wants to be the BIG COCK......Makes it hard on the pullets......

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried comparing your GPS coords with maps.live.com
    They are a Microsoft map so I wonder if the coords would line up any better. They have an bird's eye view in certain areas and these areas blow away anything that google earth has. I fish Beaver Lake in NW AR and the bird's eye photos were taken when the lake was drawn down by about 17 feet so I am able to see many of my brushpiles up the rivers and around the shore. I have also found hundreds of new brushpiles on that site and this past spring was really able to catch a bunch of crappie on those new pile.

Ranger690 is offline Crappie.com Legend and 2021 Crappie.com Man of the Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like some dude on a jet ski was buggin ya! Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast