Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New method for freezing fish?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New method for freezing fish?

I talked to a guy today that told me that when he catches a mess of fish he cleans them up like normal and washes the filets then drys them.
    Now hang on there this is where it gets crazy. The guy pours a little buttermilk on them and then rolls them in corn meal and lays them on a cookie sheet with the filets not touching. When the cookie sheet fills up he lays a sheet of wax paper or news paper over the first layer of fish and repeats the process till he has about 4 layers of fish. Then he puts the cookie sheet with fish in the freezer for a day. The next day he pulls them out and places the individually frozen peices of fish in a big 2 quart bag. He said the corn meal prevents freezer burn and he cooks alot more fish since he doesent have to thaw out a entire bag.
    Has anyone ever tried this? Sounds like a good idea to me. I cant eat fish during the week as if I put them out when I leave for work they thaw to quick and if I wait till I get home its to late to eat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gooch
    I talked to a guy today that told me that when he catches a mess of fish he cleans them up like normal and washes the filets then drys them.
    Now hang on there this is where it gets crazy. The guy pours a little buttermilk on them and then rolls them in corn meal and lays them on a cookie sheet with the filets not touching. When the cookie sheet fills up he lays a sheet of wax paper or news paper over the first layer of fish and repeats the process till he has about 4 layers of fish. Then he puts the cookie sheet with fish in the freezer for a day. The next day he pulls them out and places the individually frozen peices of fish in a big 2 quart bag. He said the corn meal prevents freezer burn and he cooks alot more fish since he doesent have to thaw out a entire bag.
    Has anyone ever tried this? Sounds like a good idea to me. I cant eat fish during the week as if I put them out when I leave for work they thaw to quick and if I wait till I get home its to late to eat.
    gooch;; Sounds like a good idea. Did he say how long they'll keep that way. Sometime i like to eat three or four rather than thawing out a whole bag. ask him if they keep for 3 or 4 months that way lol. I went thursday kept 18 nice one 12 to 14" in about 2 to 4 foot in the tree tops.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great idea. I love to pull out just one or two at a time. Usually that's how I freeze them, 2 at a time in plastic bags with water, but this is one way I've got to try.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant ask the guy anymore than what I have posted. He was some dude that was looking at fishing stuff in the sporting goods dept at Wal Mart. I like the idea and am going to try it myself. I always end up with to many or not enough when I fry fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Freezing or partial freezing is often done before vacuum sealing. It seals better that way. You can marinate by vacuum sealing also. It forces the marinate into the meat. Vacuum sealing helps prevent freezer burn by removing the air. I've never added corn meal prior to freezing but it sounds like a good idea. I see lots of frozen food at the grocery store with cornmeal already added but never thought of doing it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

I cant ask the guy anymore than what I have posted. He was some dude that was looking at fishing stuff in the sporting goods dept at Wal Mart. I like the idea and am going to try it myself. I always end up with to many or not enough when I fry fish.

That sounds like a great idea...I also have a vaccuum sealer...I might do that next time...clean them....fit them for their tailor-made cornmeal overcoat, and let them partially freeze before I vaccuum seal them up!!

Then, once it is time for the big date at the Crisco Ball we can defrost them....
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Post Thanks / Like

Actualy Gaboy the guy who told me about this said he just puts the frozen filets in the hot oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Actualy Gaboy the guy who told me about this said he just puts the frozen filets in the hot oil.

Yep, I guess that would probably be the easiest even yet...that is what you do with chicken tenders and/or fries too...why not fish???

Good call!
    I won't be at work........I'm feelin' crappie today!
    ><)))*>

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not too new....

I posted about freezing fish in a similar manner not too long ago..It works fine..I been doing it for years..I only do it this way when I have the time. But is is a good way to freeze fish. Glad someone else has tried it and knows it works.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Canepole, how long do they last? Will they get freezer burn at a certain point if left in the freezer too long? Cornmeal or not?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast