Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Fishing Qustions???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing Qustions???

What do you guys use to keep the floating lights out away from the boat?? I was thinking of using some 1/2" PVC and rigging something up to keep them about 7 foot out from the side of the boat. Me and one of my sons are planning to give it a try Friday night, our first time. :D I was thinking about the lights just floating around and getting up close to the boat.
    Any advice on night fishing will be welcome
    We plan on using minnows and jigs. Too hot for me to fish during the day. Oh well, any help will be of great help.

Thanks
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

Default straight down

I always have mine striaght down. I would think if you tried to keep them away from the boat you may get tangled in the wire if you get a big one running. Its bad enough getting wrapped up in other lines I don't need anything else to get tangled in. But if it works for you let us know. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by funfishing View Post
    I always have mine striaght down. I would think if you tried to keep them away from the boat you may get tangled in the wire if you get a big one running. Its bad enough getting wrapped up in other lines I don't need anything else to get tangled in. But if it works for you let us know. Good luck.
    I was thinking of having all the wiring attached to the 1/2" PVC up out of the water. I would leave about 2 to 3 foot of wire on the end of PVC to let light float, and have the PVC out from the side of the boat like a rod. This would keep the light about 6 or 7 foot from the boat. No wire to get hung up in.
    It may not be worth the effort I don't know???
    Alan
    ------------------
    Tight Lines to all
    Roll Tide Roll

Post Thanks / Like

i am with funfishing i have 1 floating light and 1 submersible light i tie the floating light right next to the motor so its out of the way. and the submersible light i tie on one of the cleats of my boat and let hang straight down into the water about 4' deep. think about it if the light is straight down from the side of the boat and the rod you are fishing with sticks out the side at least 4' then you shouldn't have a problem getting hung up on the light. this set up works for me. all i do is night fish. if you have any other questions just send me a pm
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

Post Thanks / Like

I used a 5' length of 1/2" PVC... Used cable ties to secure the wire to the PVC pipe and placed it in a rod holder... parallel to the water. Light hangs just under the surface but stays away from the boat. No tangles. Left the cable ties loose enough that I can adjust the depth of the light. Cheap, quick, works.

With a floating light, you'll want to leave some slack wire so that the light doesn't get jerked off the water when the boat rocks.
    Last edited by ShortStorie; 06-10-2008 at 10:49 PM.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherman_Wantabe View Post
    I was thinking of having all the wiring attached to the 1/2" PVC up out of the water. I would leave about 2 to 3 foot of wire on the end of PVC to let light float, and have the PVC out from the side of the boat like a rod. This would keep the light about 6 or 7 foot from the boat. No wire to get hung up in.
    It may not be worth the effort I don't know???
    Down here in Ga. all I've seen people do is let their floaters sit along side the boat but if that's what you want to do it surely wont hurt anything. I say go foir it and see how it works! Night fishing is about all I do anymore, winter and summer. I use submersibles and let 'em down right beside the boat about a foot deep. You dont have to fish your baits right in the light to catch fish. I pick up fish out in the dark on lighted corks sometimes. Anyways, let us know how it works for ya.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I ain't used mine in a while, but I got a 1/2 in pvc inside 3/4 in pvc bout 10 foot each. I got 25 ft extension wiring thru the inside of the pvc. I set the floating lamp in the water and push it about 15 ft away from the boat by extending the 1/2 in thru the 3/4in. Works good. Helps keep bugs away from boat too.

Tom
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

I am like gabowman, I fish at nite year round now. I use a 4 ' green lite and I used to use a pole or dip net to keep the light away from the boat. I quit worring about that years ago. Caught fish many a nite and the lite would be tapping the side of the boat.
    Make sure you have cap lights or good light sources in the boat that don't blind you. Don't start out with too many poles per angler either, one good stripe can mess up alot of poles faster than you can say anything you can think of. One way to keep up with depth is too count your pulls of line from the reel to the first eye on the rod. Caught a good mess Sat nite at 8 pulls. Sittin in 27' of water on a creek channel bend. Ya'll have fun. Be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good idea. I always drop mine right next to the boat, and catch plenty of fish. But at times, I think that noise from the boat being so close to the fish will spook them. May have to try something like this.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

You have a PM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast