Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: hot weather crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default hot weather crappie

went out at day break to beat the heat trolled at first and did real well at first but then they shut off. moved to a spot about 6ft. with some branches in the water and lily pads real close .wefound em stacked here got em on minnows on plain hooks 3ft. under bobbers and just as good on 1-32 oz. jigs with 2.5 inch fin-s .watertemp. hit 78 and the bite slowed.had 25 or 30 crappies 10-12 in. and mix of other fish -4 bass,3bluegill,3w.perch,1y.perch 1 24in. pickeraland 1catfish. quit at10am. like to here from some other crappie fishermen in the area.I fish MD. and southern DE. .Maybe they should have or call it delmarva crappie .com I know theres alot of crappie fishing that goes on in southern DE. AND eastern shore of MD. as well as MD'S west side.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd call that a very successful trip.

We've been sticking pretty close to home in deference to the $4 gas, sticking pretty much to Frederick & Montgomery Counties.

Got an unpleasant surprise a week or so ago at a lake outside of Frederick. The development that owns the lake has started using a time-release chemical of some sort to combat the annual algae buildup. My buddy and I , between us, saw a dozen or more dead Crappie and Bluegills along the edges. I've fished the lake fairly steady for about three years, and have never before seen such a fish-kill. Since this is the first year for the anti-algae chemical, I have to wonder if it's the cause of the fish-kill.

Post Thanks / Like

Default High gas prices @ chemicals in the water both stink.

The gas prices have actually made me do more crappie fishing, usually I'm running around in the ocean @ bay more this time of year in my 21center console but the 14 ft. jon @ minn kota are much cheaper. I personally know 2 tackle shop owners that are really hurting this year. That chemical deal stinks, can you call someone about this. I used to crappie fish in liberty res. alot years ago. Thats not to far from you i don't think. Alot more crappie fishing goes on down here in the cooler months,we did great in Jan. @ Feb.maybe gas will be cheaper after summers over.

Post Thanks / Like

The potomac seems to be producing good quantities of Crappie, We catch alot of em shooting the docks at Smallwood state park. Using White/chart tubes or grubs. on a 1/16 oz. or a 1/32 oz. jig head.
    That water pollution must really be a bummer, people need to try and keep our ponds, lakes, and streams cleaner...
    the15yr.old crappie fisherman.
    Fishin hard since 9/13/93

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brings back memories

That brings back memories we used to fish in Mattawomen creek 15 or so years ago ,but we fished up above Slavins around some beaver house in FEB. @ MAR..Would like to try that area again,maybe when we go visit the in laws over that way.