Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using A Transom Trolling Motor On The Bow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Using A Transom Trolling Motor On The Bow

I've been using my MinnKota trolling motor on the front of my boat because it is closer and easier to operate when I'm fishing, but it was made to use on the transom. I can't afford to buy one of those neat foot pedal rigs, but some day I'll have one.

In the meantime, I'd like to find out if it is possible to somehow switch the head on it so that the controls would not have to be operated backwards (reverse to go forward and forward to go in reverse).

I thought I read a post from someone about the possibility of doing it, but can't find it now and I'm not even sure it was on this board.

Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default push to Pull

fishnbuddy, you should be able to loosen the head (set screw I think) and turn it around 180 degrees and work it that way. The Prop will still be pushing just like it was on the transom but the handle will be pointed at you. The controls will be the same. Just be careful of the wires and re tighten the head.
    Good luck
    Ed

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

yes i did one like that on a boat it works all right . dont have the foot control in the way . some of the pro`s use them . if you cant reach the handle add a pice of pipe to it
    retired and now i will always fish

Post Thanks / Like

i had one i switched the head around on it to. been awhile back and dont remember how i done it, but im sure it can be done on most motors.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to just remove that top screw, spin the head 180, and reinstall the screw. I've done that with several MinnKota motors. I don't think the Motorguides switch so easily.

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; i swap mine around all the time. it's a mincota endura 40. the screw at the top of the shaft, just below the control head goes all the way thru. take it out (watch out for falling washer and nut ) rotate the control head re-install screw and washer/nut. fish-fish-fish. have a good day; tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I just got it done. I tried to figure out how to do it, but couldn't find the screw. I looked where Tarfu said to look and found it. I like the fact that I can switch it back around when necessary. Too easy.

Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishnbuddy
    Thanks guys. I just got it done. I tried to figure out how to do it, but couldn't find the screw. I looked where Tarfu said to look and found it. I like the fact that I can switch it back around when necessary. Too easy.

Thanks
    If you do it a lot, be sure to turn it in different directions each time. If you don't the cable inside the tube might get a little short after a while.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default foot control vs hand control

Fishnbuddy,

Glad you got it figured out and I'll do you one further. The transom mount motor you have has 3-5 forward speeds and 3 reverse right? When trolling with my F/C TM, I always seemed to be moving too fast or too slow because it is a stepped speed motor.

I, like you, couldn't afford to buy the high dollar Minn Kota auto pilot or power drive to gain the variable speed option, and I didn't want to have to deal with drift socks.

I found a "pulse width modulator" at the site listed below for about $130.00. I bought an extra plug and receptacle to match what my boat was already equipped with and "VOILA, a variable speed motor!!", that I can change back to a stepped speed in about 2 seconds.

I still bass fish alot and the stepped speed motor works better, for me, than the two previously mentioned Minn Kota units as they won't turn as fast as the foot control.

I have never seen another one on the lakes I fish. Maybe I'm the only "Poor Bastard" outthere!

http://www.vexilar.com/products/motormax.html

FP67

Post Thanks / Like

Well fishpro67, if that just isn't the neatest thing.

Earlier this week I fought the wind on my local creek trying to stay in one spot with the trolling motor. I felt like a one armed juggler. I was constantly having to adjust speeds and direction as well as cast.

I think the Motor Max might have made it easier. It looks simple to hook up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast