Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Calling all do it yourselfers....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Calling all do it yourselfers....

I replaced my prop seals this weekend. It was my first time. I will not go into details of all of the trials I had getting the seals; every peice of equipment I either own or work with does not have any parts in Little Rock. For this one I had the extra aggrevation of it not even being in the book. The guy at the parts counter claimed he couldn't even cross reference the numbers on the seals.
    To make this story short, I finally got it all back together. The housing all of this stuff is in can be bolted back in two different ways. I put it back together with what appears to be drain holes for the grease to the bottom. It made sense at the time. I woke up last night wondering "what if they are supposed to be on the top to let grease in?" Or does it make any difference since all of the parts are submerged in grease anywho?
    We are working with a 60 horse Merc Big Foot here. Any advise would be appreciated.
    DP
    I am a heterosexual male. 2 Chronicles 7:14
    "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from Heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Post Thanks / Like

DrPepper, try the Marine Dr.
    This guy will tell you, for sure.
    http://www.themarinedoctor.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl
    Mike

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Dr Pepper, I will comment on the way you add lube to a lower unit. All of them I've dealt with so far have been like this; 2 holes, one high and one low. The top hole is a vent. with top screw in place, remove lower plug and insert grease tube. Then remove top plug and fill til it runs out the top hole. Put top plug in, remove grease tube and replace lower plug,. Stuff is so thick that it won't run out in the short time the hole is open. Remove both plugs and it runs freely. Also, there is a web site moderated by pro marine mechanics at Boats for Sale, New Boats, Used Boats, Boat Parts - iboats.com. They've helped me in the past.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around