Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: questions for the bigguns

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions for the bigguns

just wondering just started fishing for crappie this spring and am loving it but kinda surprised at thew numbers that people are catching 80 100 and so on even this spring i was lucky to catch a total of 10 with not alot of keepers but i have been catching fish everytime i go biggest so far is 14 1/2 catching them in the willows in about 4-8 feet of water am i mising something have been using plastics should i switch to minnows and my luck would change or am i just not on them ? and when there is one is there alot or just that 1?

thanks,
    Scott
    Life comes at you fast ... Better have a net...

Scott Beitzel----Western maryland

Post Thanks / Like

Talk to the locals, thay will have the best info on how to get a limit where you are fishing. Also try different ways to fish, ie shooting docks, deeper water and so on. Get yourself a copy of " Crappie World " magazine thay always have different ways to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoremaster View Post
    just wondering just started fishing for crappie this spring and am loving it but kinda surprised at thew numbers that people are catching 80 100 and so on even this spring i was lucky to catch a total of 10 with not alot of keepers but i have been catching fish everytime i go biggest so far is 14 1/2 catching them in the willows in about 4-8 feet of water am i mising something have been using plastics should i switch to minnows and my luck would change or am i just not on them ? and when there is one is there alot or just that 1?

thanks,
    Scott
    Hi Scott,
    You are so far North of me I am not sure I will be as good as someone near you, but here goes...
    In the spring I troll with my trolling motor about 95% of the time. I use feather jigs and since I make them they better work, LOL! I am sure soft plastic work good too at times. Maybe not so well when the water temp is below 60 or 55 degrees as it is not a cold weather material.

I troll around and over grass (Hydrilla) and use a 1/32 pony head jig or Roadrunner for a name with marabou tail most of the time, but I do also use regular jigs with hackle and marabou tails too.

In between the spawn and summer I troll water 8'-14' deep with the same baits and sometime will use a 1/16 oz. jig when over 6' of water. If the wind is blowing much I may use a 1/8 or 1/4 oz. jig and just troll it closer to the boat and not long line fashion.

Once the spawn is over I start looking at water 20'+ with brush like your willow. Usually you start catching them like 10' down to maybe 12' down. After it gets hotter I look for water a little deeper, say 25'-35' and fish down 12'-18' and that will change with places.

I like feathers better than any other material because of it's natural look in the water. I know tubes work well too, but just make sure when using soft plastics it is above 50 water temp for sure and never below that.

Skip
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 06-09-2008 at 12:58 PM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

not alot of the fellas that fish the lake are after the crappie they are always after walleye and bass which are alright but i want crappie lol.

guess there is just alot to learn and so far it's either on here or on the water and that takes time lol.

but thanks guys and i will try them tech. skip and see what i can find will kep you posted on what happens .

thanks,
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scoremaster View Post
    not alot of the fellas that fish the lake are after the crappie they are always after walleye and bass which are alright but i want crappie lol.

guess there is just alot to learn and so far it's either on here or on the water and that takes time lol.

but thanks guys and i will try them tech. skip and see what i can find will kep you posted on what happens .

thanks,
    Scott
    Scott follow this link and read the articles and other interesting info and I bet it will help... http://crappie.com/content/section/1/2/
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Scoremaster, not long ago I was in your shoes. Having used more expensive artificials in the past, I hated getting hung up. Therefore I avoided some cover. Keep in mind our jigs(of whichever variety) are called "terminal" tackle. You're gonna lose some no matter what. That in mind, get experimental. The magazines I've read have gone as far back s the late 70s, but the info still applies. I try something new all the time, sometimes it doesn't work and I go in search of someone that uses that method for some advice. Being here on C.c helps a bunch. Try something new, ask lots of questions, and put in the time on the water and things will change.Good luck to you, tight lines.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Scoremaser the next time try using a slow retrieve. Try using 1/16th lead jig. Good colors I use is black/chartruce or red/white. Use a bobber about three foot up with your jigs. Remember crappie like a moving target. Use this method I think you will start increasing your catch. I have 60lbs of crappie in my freezer caught this year. Have fun and good luck. Let me know how you did. Kenny from Idaho. Crappie tube jigs 1 & 1/2 inches long.

Post Thanks / Like

What size line are you using? Where I am at when I switched to 4 lb and even 2 lb. test fluorocarbon line it was the difference between catching fish or getting skunked. And use a stick bobber so small that if a fish breaths on it it will go under, or sometimes the bobber just lays on its side you have a fish on. If you are using too heavy a setup you won't even know when you have a strike.

Post Thanks / Like

P-Line claims that trials have been done and prove Crappie are attracted to flourescent colored line, Professional crappie angler and guide Garry Mason makes the same claim. So with that said try switching to (P-Line CXX or Mr. Crappies Hi-Viz yellow line) in either 4 or 6 pound. I personally like the Mr.Crappie 4lb test better.
    I also use almost exclusively now 1/32oz chartruese jig heads with a hollow tube jig body in various colors... usually blue/white or chartruese/black. The lighter jig head allows a slower decent which I have found the crappie bite more... but with the 4lb test... you can throw as far as you need to.
    As for catching more you just have to try different depths and retrievel speeds to see what makes them bite. But keep to cover and and docks as the warmer weather sets in and you'll be hauling them in left and right.

The other "secret" to fishing hollow tube jigd I have found is right here... http://www.thebaitpump.com/index.htm... the Bait Pump. It allows you to push crappie nibbles up inside the jig causing more hits which in turn brings you more fish.

Good luck.
    Last edited by LSUguy; 06-21-2008 at 05:15 PM.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

iam using 6 lb mr crappie yellow line on two differant rods a 5-6 ultra lite and a 12 foot crappie slayer use the long bobbers just enough weight that the bobber will lay over if picked up and 1/16 and 1/8 oz pink heads the heaveyier heads seem to get more bites than the smaller ones but i switch around and play till i gte it right differant almost everyday.
    keep the bobber up about 2-3 ft have went without the bobber and caught some about 12-15 feet of water tightlining but they don't bite alot always alot of casting to get the fish to bite only know 2 places to get the crappie right now but am going to try another spot tommarow morning someone gave me a tip lol lol. have been using the electric chicken panfish assasins and having great results with crappie bass walleye and everything in between what a great little bait .

thanks fellas will give them tricks a try ,
    Scott