Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whoa nellie

Post Thanks / Like

Default whoa nellie

That is what Mrs JJ said when we rounded the corner on Truman Lake this morning We had decided to take a break from the packing/moving/painting we have been doing all week and go catch some nice crappie slabs up at Osage Bluff area of Truman Lake

When we crossed the Hwy 83 bridge the lake didn't look too bad but an early clue of what we were in store for should have been back up the road when we crossed the bridge that crossed Little Pomme River and there were white caps on the river and the water on the flat which can't be more than a foot or so deep

Regardless, we launched and noticed that it was pretty windy but thinking we would be able to get out of the wind one of several different places in the Fairfield area, we proceeded:o As we were launching another boat pulled up and said they had called it quits that the main lake was pretty rough - be prepared to get wet they said

Mrs JJ told me I was driving (this is a rarity) I questioned her and told her "it isn't that bad". I soon ate those words:D and it didn't take me long to tell Mrs JJ "hold on, we are turning around...we are not doing this" Going against the waves was pretty bad, but coming back to the marina was even worse.

Oh well....it was only gas money

Post Thanks / Like

JJ...Sure wanted to go today, but stayed home. Iv'e got a 6 ft. piece of log chain hanging in a walnut tree and when I got up and it was doing "THE MARINGA", I Fixed another pot of coffee. Next Time will be better!!
    I just KNOW it was a big one!!!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Wish we had had a chain hanging in one of our trees - oh well - it has got to get better.

Post Thanks / Like

It will get better, probably a smart move on your turning arround, dont like to read bad stories about good people,,, later man

Post Thanks / Like

It was windy and rough Saturday also, I thought about not going across the main lake but decided I could make it safely so away I went.

I think I now know what bull riders feel like! Sitting in the front of the boat as the trolling motor comes out of the water really gets the blood pumping.

I did run into every tree I came near but was able to catch some fish before getting tangled. I did notice I caught more Bass than usual and one that was probably 3lbs. It was fun on a ten foot rod, my landing technique consisted of banging it into the boat three times :D and then finally flinging it into the boat. One would have thought that it would have released itself but I think it may have been unconscious when it came into the boat. It did lay there for a few minutes before it started flipping around.

All in All it was a nice day and I ended up with a mess of crappie to take home.

Post Thanks / Like

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......our PETA friends are watching.:D
    I actually hugged a few trees this weekend myself.....and I wasn't even climbing into a deer stand. I was, however, attaching trotlines to them at the time.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Was out on Truman for a few hours both Saturday and Sunday, no one ever accused me of being too bright. So windy there was whitecaps on my coffee.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bwillaub View Post
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......our PETA friends are watching.:D
    I actually hugged a few trees this weekend myself.....and I wasn't even climbing into a deer stand. I was, however, attaching trotlines to them at the time.
    Hey I hugged a tree while I was at it!:D Does it count if I was doing it while trying to get unhung and it was so I would not fall out of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pole Bender View Post
    It was windy and rough Saturday also, I thought about not going across the main lake but decided I could make it safely so away I went.

I think I now know what bull riders feel like! Sitting in the front of the boat as the trolling motor comes out of the water really gets the blood pumping.

I did run into every tree I came near but was able to catch some fish before getting tangled. I did notice I caught more Bass than usual and one that was probably 3lbs. It was fun on a ten foot rod, my landing technique consisted of banging it into the boat three times :D and then finally flinging it into the boat. One would have thought that it would have released itself but I think it may have been unconscious when it came into the boat. It did lay there for a few minutes before it started flipping around.

All in All it was a nice day and I ended up with a mess of crappie to take home.
    If you flung a 3 lb bass into the boat - you must have been using a Huckabee rod There is no way you could fling one in using a green weanie rod - or some call them buggie whips

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jiggin View Post
    If you flung a 3 lb bass into the boat - you must have been using a Huckabee rod There is no way you could fling one in using a green weanie rod - or some call them buggie whips
    I gave up using that over priced broom handle:D, besides if I tried to fling a fish of that size in the boat with it, it would have broken in half. Than all I would have is an over priced broken broom handle!

I am sure you understand what I am talking about, aren’t you on your third one this year alone? I have seen those things snap in half with a much smaller wood bass attached. I prefer a professional grade rod at a much lower cost that I have been flinging fish into the boat for 3 years and have yet to break it.:D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast