Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Crappie fishing in shallow pond ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie fishing in shallow pond ?

Hello, in my area there is a 10-12 acre "pond" that is almot entirely 6 feet deep from one end to the other, from bank to bank. there are a few low areas that hit 4 feet and a small deep area of 10 feet. The bottom is void of any real structure, a mucky flat bottom. There a lot of crappie in there most in the 8-11 inch range. Any tips for finding and catching these crappie in such shallow water ? -Thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Kyron ....

Quote Originally Posted by kyron4 View Post
    Hello, in my area there is a 10-12 acre "pond" that is almot entirely 6 feet deep from one end to the other, from bank to bank. there are a few low areas that hit 4 feet and a small deep area of 10 feet. The bottom is void of any real structure, a mucky flat bottom. There a lot of crappie in there most in the 8-11 inch range. Any tips for finding and catching these crappie in such shallow water ? -Thanks
    Be as stealthy as possible.
    Use a casting rod/reel that is your "longest casting distance" outfit.
    Tie on a 1/16oz marabou Roadrunner (Chartreuse).
    Fish the deepest area, and any shaded areas (during the shaded period of the day.)
    Keep some of the smaller ones, release all the larger ones (they'll replenish the numbers, but also help control the numbers by feeding on the fry).

You say "in my area" ... so I'm assuming it's not "your" pond. It probably "needs" some cover added to it, like a downed tree (from the bank out into the "deep" water). See if the state, or owners, would allow you to add some cover (at your own expense/time). You won't need, or want, to add much ... just enough to concentrate them in an area. Too much "security" would allow them to be even more safe from any predation (human, bird, other fish??) and that may serve to allow them to overpopulate the pond.

If they're White Crappie, I'd set my "keeper" limit size to anything less than 10 inches ... If Black Crappie, anything less than 9 inches.

It may not be a perfect plan, but it's what I'd do :D

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

It's a public/private pond, as it's owned by a couple that live out of state and everyone and anyone fishes there and they don't care or up keep the pond. I'm told it was any old rock querry at one time but seems to shallow and dirty. I'll try sinking some structure when it cools down. -Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a small pond that is no more than about 8 feet deep when full. By mid summer, the deepest parts are 3-4 feet deep. I like bouncing small jigs through the deeper parts of the water column. Use the lightest jigs possible to insure a slow fall rate.

I also like casting and retrieving small jigs and beetlespins. Let them sink to a desired depth and use the slowest retrieve possible to maintain desired action of your bait.

If in a boat, verticle jigging will fill the stringer as well when you find them.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Minnows. This time of year, they will be towards the dam or in the deepest part of the pond. Fish a couple feet deep with minnows or maybe a jig with a slip cork. If you notice a lot of fish 6-8", keep them all, it means the fish are stunted and need to be thinned out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fly_freebird90 View Post
    I fish a small pond that is no more than about 8 feet deep when full. By mid summer, the deepest parts are 3-4 feet deep. I like bouncing small jigs through the deeper parts of the water column. Use the lightest jigs possible to insure a slow fall rate.

I also like casting and retrieving small jigs and beetlespins. Let them sink to a desired depth and use the slowest retrieve possible to maintain desired action of your bait.

If in a boat, verticle jigging will fill the stringer as well when you find them.

Good luck, hope this helps.

Ross
    That would be my advice. I would also get a few big ones and see what they have in their stomachs to see what they feed on in the pond. Then I would match that as close as you can and you'll probably have a feeding frenzy on your hands. Light line, 4lbs or less, 7-8 foot spinning gear, be wery wery quiet, as elmer would say. Wish I could come help you. BTW, it might be a good idea to find out how long its been since they were stocked there. Very often a small lake like that have a few monstrosities swimming around in it if its been stocked for 10 yrs or longer.
    Good things come to those who bait.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use Beetle spins and 1/16oz curl tail jigs and keep em swimmin, even if its real slow. The fish will tell you when you get the presentation right. Pearl, yellow and chartruese are my go to colors. Curl tails sink a little slower and can be worked real slow.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around