Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "All weld" over "Riveted" boats, does it really matter?

Post Thanks / Like

Default "All weld" over "Riveted" boats, does it really matter?

Guess an all weld boat is the way to go but if the rivets were not all that great then boat mfgrs. would not be making them. I am getting ready to buy another boat but haven't made up my mind between riveted or welded> I'm open for suggestions // opinions. The boat i buy will be for panfishing, a "Jon" type boat like a tracker, G3 Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've often wondered that myself Lum. I have entertained the thought of having an all weld boat. I consider myself to be a purdy good welder. When I build my boat to my taste....which is riveted.... I built the frame for my deck out of 1 inch aluminum angle. First I used self tapping screws to hold everything together before I welded it all up and left them in. I don't let wind scare me to much..to keep me from fishing, I noticed that some of my welds broke, from a rough days fishing. So I know welds do break. Just like the I40 bridge going across the Mississippi River; it has to give some or it will break. So my cheap ole riveted boat needs to give some too.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a matter of taste. Many folks think all welded is better but Lund boats are riveted and I think they are as good a boat as any on the market. The northern guys swear by them and they have to deal with lots of rough open water. I'm not in the market but if I were a Lund Deep Vee Magnum would top my list.

Post Thanks / Like

Default welded over Rivited

I can't say that I ever had a rivit come loose or leak as far as that goes. If or when I replace my boat it will be a Tracker Tundra. I have a walk thru Spectrum now and just like the deep inside of the boat for the grandkids and older gentlemen that I take fishing. Everyone just feels safe when in my boat.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wonder why airplanes are riveted and not welded...I have had a few of both and never had any trouble. I will say that a Lund Alaskan 2003 was my last aluminum boat and it was riveted. It was an excellent built boat and I never had a problem. If I ever go back to an aluminum boat it will be a Lund.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My fishing partner has a 1985 tracker riveted. No leaks and no missing rivits. Don makes a good point about aircraft being riveted.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I believe that depending on the MFG. both can be quality products.

There are several grades of aluminum, some are fine for welding, some are not. The "T6" aluminum is found in quality built boats no matter if they are riveted or welded. "T6" is the least brittle of all the grades of aluminum therefore lends itself as a better product for welding. In the first couple of years that BPS made the Tracker the tried to cut MFG. cost and built their tracker from a lower grade of Aluminum. Although I never saw a weld failure on their hull, I did see and repair (4) different Trackers with identical problems. The very front, flat nose panel could not take the constant pounding of the wave action when under power. It developed a hair-line crack right in the middle of the panel away from any welds. BPS a year or two later went to the "T6" and those problems went away.

If I was in the market for an aluminum boat, my decision would no be based on welded or rivieted construction, but the quality of aluminum. Brittle Aluminum will lead to failure under load.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a 16 ft. riveted Monarch hull to build my boat from in 1983. After building the decks, sides and bottom w/ carpeted treated plywood I put 'er to work crawling over logs, stumps, and cypress knees in Louisiana. Then moved to Arkansas and fought the waves in their big open lakes for 14 years and only had to tighten 2 rivets. IMHO there's not much difference between the welded and riveted hulls, both have a downside and upside. Welds can crack, rivets can loosen. Tracker has a good idea in the Avalanche, which uses a formed aluminum hull and looks like a nice glass boat. If it weren't so big I would own one, but I can't get a boat that size into places I like to fish. I guess the ol' "Swamp Scow" will still be around for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Default rivets vs. all weld

Maybe i started a thread where we can all be educated as to which is better, hope someone reads this that has the knowledge on this subject that can give us a lesson for free. I for one do not know which to buy. Have my eye on a 17.2 G3 with a 40 horse Yamaha, all like new, riveted.

Post Thanks / Like

Default riveted boats

What about the G3 boats built in Lebanon, Mo? I looked on the G3 website at the aluminum they used in their boats and here is what they claim to use....."Marine grade 5052 aluminum, 34,000 lbs. tensile strength per square inch, hardness is H34" Does anyone know if this is good or not?? Thanks for looking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast