Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: catching small ones but need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default catching small ones but need help

the boo patch i put in my lake in march of this year is producing now in a big way. i fished the last two nights, me and my father-in-law caught 120 crappie. out of the 120 fish only about 15 of them were over 8 inches long. my question is are the big ones there or should i search other places? if they are there how to catch them? we used minnows and jigs fished at depths of 3-30 ft deep and still only small ones. but it was a blast. fishing at night at yatesville lake any help would be great.
    Last edited by fish-wva; 06-08-2008 at 04:42 AM.
    EAT, SLEEP, FISH AND LOVE THY WIFE

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Hey Fish-WVA

Quote Originally Posted by fish-wva View Post
    the boo patch i put in my lake in march of this year is producing now in a big way. i fished the last two nights, me and my father-in-law caught 120 crappie. out of the 120 fish only about 15 of them were over 8 inches long. my question is are the big ones there or should i search other places? if they are there how to catch them? we used minnows and jigs fished at depths of 3-30 ft deep and still only small ones. but it was a blast. any help would be great.
    the "big ones" don't just appear out of the blue ... they all had to be 8 inchers, at one time.

Can't really help you, on where to find the big ones ... but, I can tell you that your boo condo is obviously working :p --- so take heart, 'cause if they're there now, when they're small, they know where it is and will continue to use it (as they grow).
    They're probably schooled up, now ... more or less by size (year class) ... so, if you start catching small ones, that's probably what's mostly there (in that spot). The lake obviously had a good spawn, a few years ago, so you do have a good stock of fish coming on. If the growth rates are near normal, you should be catching Slabs in another couple of years.

Was this daytime or nighttime fishing ? Paintsville Lake ??

I'd try casting jigs to blowdown trees (that extend into deep water) during the early morning hours (while there's still shade over the water above the blowdown) ... then, when you run out of shaded places, slow troll the open water (with baits at or near the bottom depth of the Shad schools). If night fishing - try around lighted docks, deep pockets with timber, isolated trees, drift piles, and creek mouth points.

Don't be too discouraged ... at least you're getting "some" pullage :D .... that's more than some of us can say :o

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

night fishing at yatesville lake

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish-wva View Post
    the boo patch i put in my lake in march of this year is producing now in a big way. i fished the last two nights, me and my father-in-law caught 120 crappie. out of the 120 fish only about 15 of them were over 8 inches long. my question is are the big ones there or should i search other places? if they are there how to catch them? we used minnows and jigs fished at depths of 3-30 ft deep and still only small ones. but it was a blast. any help would be great.
    Sounds like your boo patch is doing it's job you mite try backing away from it a little, say 30' and fish back to it just to see if the bigger fish are there.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

come on you guys help me out here