Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: white or black?

Post Thanks / Like

Default white or black?

we was fishin lake wylie sc a couple months ago and caught a few fish in muddy water. you know how pale they are when they caught in muddy water. anyway, after awhile in the cooler they get their color back. we had one in the cooler that colored up and it had the distinct verticle bars on its sides we dint notice when it was caught. it was pale when first brought aboard. it was the first white crappie i ever seen come out of wylie. this fish was caught by my fishing partner at the time, and the next day we was back in the same spot and dang if i dint catch one. only two i ever seen come out of wylie. blacks is our predominant fish. anybody know what the determining factor is in a lake that makes one species predominant over the other?
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

You might read the study the the KY DNR did on Blood River and Sled Bay on KY Lake a year ago. Not sure what the final report said. But they studied the black and white crappie population of those two areas trying to figure out exactly what you are asking.

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    we was fishin lake wylie sc a couple months ago and caught a few fish in muddy water. you know how pale they are when they caught in muddy water. anyway, after awhile in the cooler they get their color back. we had one in the cooler that colored up and it had the distinct verticle bars on its sides we dint notice when it was caught. it was pale when first brought aboard. it was the first white crappie i ever seen come out of wylie. this fish was caught by my fishing partner at the time, and the next day we was back in the same spot and dang if i dint catch one. only two i ever seen come out of wylie. blacks is our predominant fish. anybody know what the determining factor is in a lake that makes one species predominant over the other?
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I Remember Reading That Study--the Main Thing I Remember Is That The Blacks Are Now More Dominate In Those Areas. Good Fishin To Ya!!dennis
    Good Fishin To Ya!! Dennis Dale Hollow Crappie www.dalehollowcrappie.4t.com

Post Thanks / Like

rango - In the book, "Crappie Wisom", they state that black crappie are more abundant in cool,clear, deep waters that contain marl, sand or gravel bottoms with some vegetation present. White crappie are more common in the warm, murky, shallow lakes with standing timber, brush, and areas of both soft and hard bottoms. Black crappie are far more common in tidal rivers and brackish waters along the East and Gulf coasts. Apparently, the black crappie can tolerate the brackish water better than the whites.
    Ken