PDA

View Full Version : hung up

crappiepants
06-04-2008, 10:10 PM
So what do you do if you get hung up on one of your brush piles? Do you yank on it to get it loose and risk scaring the fish or do you cut your line? Generally i reel the line in and stick my pole in the water to unhook it. But that seems to ruin the fishing on that spot for a little while.

Crappie Reaper
06-04-2008, 10:19 PM
I keep a few old spark plugs on board. Just hook the thing over the line, knock it down tight against the thingamajig, drop it overboard, let the weight of it get down below your hook, give it a couple of quick jerks and reel the whole thing back in, with the jig. Now, bend the doomaflachey out and take it off your line. Check for frayed line, maybe retie. Fish somewhere's else till the area settles back down.

TacoBender
06-04-2008, 11:18 PM
A 1oz bell weight and a paper clip works for me.

DADAKOTA
06-04-2008, 11:41 PM
A quick pull on the rod and my braid straighten the hook out.

Specktater
06-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Many times you can get it loose by gently bouncing the jig by jiggling your rod tip. If that doesn't get it a slow steady pull will usually straighten the hook.

catman
06-05-2008, 04:49 AM
what tater said.

NIMROD
06-05-2008, 05:33 AM
So what do you do if you get hung up on one of your brush piles? Do you yank on it to get it loose and risk scaring the fish or do you cut your line? Generally i reel the line in and stick my pole in the water to unhook it. But that seems to ruin the fishing on that spot for a little while.

I do like you when jiggling does'nt free my jig. But our lake is usually dingy and sticking a pole in there does'nt seem to stop the bite most of the time.:D

slipbobber
06-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Use weedless jigs.

Locator79
06-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Be carefull sticking your rod down in the water to free a snag. I have broken many rod tips this way.

CrappiePappy
06-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Use weedless jigs.

I never could get my rod tip down far enough to reach the jig, anyway :p ... since I'm mostly using 8ft rods, or less :D

Don't have that problem, too often, when using weedless jigheads ;)

... cp :cool:

fish-wva
06-05-2008, 03:32 PM
i like the sparkplug idea

TeqSheriff
06-06-2008, 10:57 AM
I keep a bamboo 8 ft rod on board. I made a little hook that goes around the line (just a cup hook that I bent around until it was nearly closed up, but still open enough to get the line in.) Instead of dipping my rod tip in the water to free a hung jig, I just use the bamboo rod. I started doing this after I read a post that commented that many $40 rods are broken in the process of retrieving 40 cent jigs.

I also love weedless jigs. There was a post on here a couple of months ago that mentioned you can make your own by getting a little spool of craft wire from Hobby Lobby, and then just twisting it around the head/hook of the jig. Super simple, easy to manipulate, and highly effective. I also like the Crappie Slider jig heads which keep the point of the hook either buried in the soft plastic or just protruding out very slightly.

pstone
06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I run the rod tip down to it....If it breaks, it breaks, but I don't plan to change...I've prob saved $100 woth of 40 cent jigs, so it all washes in the end..

ShellQuacker
06-06-2008, 02:04 PM
This isn't about jigs necessarily, but when I'm fishing live bait and get hung, I open my bail and set that rod to the side for a bit and fish with another. If there's fish in the area, more than half the time one will "rescue" my rig. (with the added bonus of another fish)

grits and gravy
06-06-2008, 02:23 PM
I use the sparkplugs but I attach a large snap swivel to the gap of the plug. The round end goes into the gap and then I close the gap. When I get hung up I just attach the swivel to the line and then jig the line. This usually will get the jig loose and does not fray the line.

plantdr
06-06-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm still tryi'n to find the brushpile.