Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is your Minn Kota US ticking?

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is your Minn Kota US ticking?

I sent Minn Kota an E-mail about the ticking sound I keep hearing from my trolling motor. I knew it was the sonar but was hoping there was a fix. Here is their answer:

William,
    All transducers make a ticking sound. The difference between the built
    in transducer and one that is routed externally is the external one is
    ticking under water, but you can't hear it. The Universal Transducer
    ticks under water, but travels up the hollow shaft so it is more
    audible. There is nothing you can really do about the ticking it is
    normal.

Best regards,
    Brenda J Thompson
    Technical Service Rep.
    Minn Kota

If I thought I wouldn't void my warranty, I would take the top off and try stuffing some foam or something like that down the shaft to see if I could muffle it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    I sent Minn Kota an E-mail about the ticking sound I keep hearing from my trolling motor. I knew it was the sonar but was hoping there was a fix. Here is there answer

William,
    All transducers make a ticking sound. The difference between the built
    in transducer and one that is routed externally is the external one is
    ticking under water, but you can't hear it. The Universal Transducer
    ticks under water, but travels up the hollow shaft so it is more
    audible. There is nothing you can really do about the ticking it is
    normal.

Best regards,
    Brenda J Thompson
    Technical Service Rep.
    Minn Kota

If I thought I wouldn't void my warranty, I would take the top off and try stuffing some foam or something like that down the shaft to see if I could muffle it.

Hey Bill, at our age just be glad you can hear that good......lol......I've never heard mine
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

That tick from the transducer was annoying; the way I got rid of it was to buy another finder. I bought the Humminbird Matrix 27. Besides my other unit was old, it was a Humminbird Wide View, I like like it too, but the constant tick drov me nuts. So I gave it to a buddy to drive him nuts :D . I wanted to upgrade anyway. I hope my wife doesn't find out :rolleyes:

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishingpox
    That tick from the transducer was annoying; the way I got rid of it was to buy another finder. I bought the Humminbird Matrix 27. Besides my other unit was old, it was a Humminbird Wide View, I like like it too, but the constant tick drov me nuts. So I gave it to a buddy to drive him nuts :D . I wanted to upgrade anyway. I hope my wife doesn't find out :rolleyes:
    Well so far I can tell your that a Lowrance X97 and a Garmin 250 does it. Don is right tho, all I have to do is turn one of my bad ears to it. LOL

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a little research to see if I could figure out why the Garmin 250 does it but your Matrix 27 doesn't. I thought maybe the Matrix was a little lower on power but its actually a little higher. If I thought for sure that would solve my problem I'd exchange it for the Matrix 27.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure that the power level causes the ticking, or could the frequency be causing it? Remember, not all finders are built the same.
    Life is what you make of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gar-Getter
    Are you sure that the power level causes the ticking, or could the frequency be causing it? Remember, not all finders are built the same.
    Good point, I'll have to do a little more research. I understand how a sonar works and can't see how that would make a difference, but who knows?

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Yessir not one peep. That drove me crazy trying to figure out where that tick was coming from, because I had just started fishing and the Humminbird Wide View was my first ever finder.

I just did a little research to see if I could figure out why the Garmin 250 does it but your Matrix 27 doesn't. I thought maybe the Matrix was a little lower on power but its actually a little higher. If I thought for sure that would solve my problem I'd exchange it for the Matrix 27.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishingpox, are you using the dual or single transducer? The dual has the same power as mine but the single is a little lower. That may be the difference. I think I'll take mine back to BPS anyway and exchange it. I like the bigger screen on the Matrix 27.

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I'm running single transducer on this one. My last finder was dual.

Fishingpox, are you using the dual or single transducer? The dual has the same power as mine but the single is a little lower. That may be the difference. I think I'll take mine back to BPS anyway and exchange it. I like the bigger screen on the Matrix 27.