Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Rainy Lake fishing information?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rainy Lake fishing information?

Hi to Minnesota Anglers!

I am going up to fish Rainy Lake Friday for a week with friends. Anyone out there have any good information on fishing-mainly for smallmouth bass. I have never fished Rainy, any tips on what to use and how to fish for smallmouth there would be greatly appreciated! We will be fishing the 'south arm' near Turtle Island.

Thanks!
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

Try using plugs in fire-tiger finishes, and suspending thin-minnow crankbaits in that color are especially effective. And when the surface is flat and water is less then 10 feet deep, topwaters that pop or chug can be a total rush!
    Rainy Lake is very dark stained water so using cranks and tops in bright colors will get you alot of strikes.Rainy Lake is a huge body of water with awesome smallmouth action all around the lake... so use a good GPS unit so noone gets lost.Good luck and hopefully you'll get into those 4 pound plus fish!:D
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the reply CrappieMagnet,

Will be fishing with some guys that fish tournaments at Rainy, and they have maps, so getting lost (hopefully) will not be an issue! Just wanted a native's opinion of what to bring along. They will be towing their boats along, so will have a lot of flexibility.

I am kind of going at the last minute so did not have time to plan a lot as far as going to BassPro to stock up. Just bringing the stuff I have. Did not know that Rainy was dark stained water. Is it similar to Basswood up by Ely? I have fished there a couple of times, great walleye fishing. Also have fished some of the other lakes up there by Ely and remember the walleye and black crappie are copper-colored. Will be bringing some topwater, spinner baits, long stickbaits and a lot of plastic.

Thanks again and hope to post pictures later! :D

Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to rainy for the last 23 years but we go week before memorial day. We fish northern arm of rainy and the water is crystal clear. Can see bottom 10-15 foot down easy. We use number 8,10,and 12 husky jerks and X-raps in perch color, tennessee shad, and "white ghost" color. Bring lots and lots of white 3 inch twister tails on 1/8th oz jig heads. And like crappiemagnet said top water plugs are deadly especially as the water temps rise.
    We kill the smallies on the northern arm using these tactics so I would asume the whole lake to be the same! Good luck and looking forward to the pictures!

Post Thanks / Like

CrappieHusker....HAVE A GREAT TRIP!:D
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

You'll likely get hook into a few of these golden beauties. The fish, I mean. http://bp3.blogger.com/_zLu5zM-iVa4/...h/100_0328.JPG
    "If you really want something in this life you have to work for it. Now quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers."

Post Thanks / Like

golllie i miss that lake and the atmosphere already!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I have been to rainy for the last 23 years but we go week before memorial day. We fish northern arm of rainy and the water is crystal clear. Can see bottom 10-15 foot down easy. We use number 8,10,and 12 husky jerks and X-raps in perch color, tennessee shad, and "white ghost" color. Bring lots and lots of white 3 inch twister tails on 1/8th oz jig heads. And like crappiemagnet said top water plugs are deadly especially as the water temps rise.
    We kill the smallies on the northern arm using these tactics so I would asume the whole lake to be the same! Good luck and looking forward to the pictures!
    Birdman you ain't been alive 23 years...Your first name isn't Shawn is it?

Post Thanks / Like

no haha!!!! Iv only been 7 or 8 years. But my dad and his buddies have been going for 23 years or so.