Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spur of the Moment Jugging

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spur of the Moment Jugging

I was in D'Arbonne today planning on doing some Crappie fishin....didn't work out as planned

As soon as I got on the lake I broke one of my 2 jigging rods. Didn't feel like jigging with just one rod so broke out the trusty road runner and didn't get any bites for over an hour.

This is when my lunch turned into bait. Hot dogs. I always keep some pool noodles that I've converted to jugs in the boat but hooks were all bent up from being hung up. The hooks I had with me didn't fit on the string so I tied what I had using the 8lb line I've been using for crappie. First fish on and first broke line. Didn't take long for me to realize that wasn't gonna work.

Then I remembered that I had some Yo-Yos that I bought a few weeks ago still in the box. So, off comes all the string and I replaced it with a yo-yo. This did the charm. I *highly* recommend this as opposed to just a string hanging off the bottom. Also, Gamaktsu hooks are pretty brittle and tend to break, not bend, if/when ya get hung.

It wasn't the best fishing but in about 3 hours of catfishing I got 4. Then I got called into work on my day off... Just as well as I was just about out of hot dogs and was about to break into the beanie wenie's to get the meat out of there.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

GOOD STORY .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

got a box of yo-yo's setting in the garage i got off ebay several years ago, aint even used them yet. i do have several noodle cut down i throw out for meat runs on occasion.

the yo-yo should work pretty well in shallow water to keep you bait from dragging & as u said stop from snagging so much

good idea.

VIRGINIA GAMEFISH TAGGING PROGRAM MEMBER

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone show a pic and set up of a noodle? How long is the string? Type of hook? tricks of the trade so to speak for jug fishing. Thanks!
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Breambuster. Have started making some.
    You can't finish what you don't start

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome!