Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Rod and Reel for Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best Rod and Reel for Crappie

This should get many responses as I am sure all have their preferences.

I am looking for the best light tackle to pitch 1/8 and 1/16 jigs with for crappie?

I want something that will work well for the wife who is a novice and wants to learn how to fish artificial baits.
    2018 Tracker Super Guide 40hp 4 Stroke
    Garmin Striker 7sv
    Minn Kota Powerdrive with iPilot
    Marine Raider Rod Holders Modified for Versatrack

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

IMOHO, get her a good Shimano reel. It don't have to be a real expensive one. For a rod, take her to the store and let her hold them and pick one out that feel right to her.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN View Post
    IMOHO, get her a good Shimano reel. It don't have to be a real expensive one. For a rod, take her to the store and let her hold them and pick one out that feel right to her.
    Thanks......
    Garmin Striker 7sv

Post Thanks / Like

I concur with IBNFSHN...can't go wrong with Shimano.

Make sure you guide her toward the type of rods that will work best for pitching, but letting her pick the one that feels comfortable to her will be a master stroke...

Good luck and happy times together fishing!
    Gadget Man

Post Thanks / Like

I think an 8' is the ticket for a beginner. I like the B'n'M BGJP 82 with an underspin reel, there are many reel manufactures that produce these. B'n'M also has there own model. I also like the Wally Marshall 8' it has a nice feel. The total rig will run about $65 for which ever you choose.
    A Bad Day of Fishing is Better Than a Good Day of Work!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation For a novice ....

Quote Originally Posted by greenchicken View Post
    This should get many responses as I am sure all have their preferences.
    I am looking for the best light tackle to pitch 1/8 and 1/16 jigs with for crappie?
    I want something that will work well for the wife who is a novice and wants to learn how to fish artificial baits.

I think I'd stick with something around the 6ft length, in a rod. They're a lot more "controllable" than a much longer/shorter rod. Something in a med to med/lite action (novice's may have trouble with proper hook set speed/power).
    Reel should match/balance the rod, and not be feather lite (making the rod tip heavy) ... nor be heavy as a rock (making the outfit cumbersome to hold/use for any extended period of time). Something that has a wide line spool, reels smoothly, & has a smooth drag system.

I agree with the others ... take her somewhere that she can put a reel on a rod, and "test" it to her preference (weight, feel, length, type of grip, etc)

One question, though Are you actually referring to "pitching" a jig .... or are you really referring to "casting" a jig ?? If you actually use the "pitching" technique .... you may want to consider a 7-8ft rod. (my information leans towards the "casting" technique, as far as rod length)

What type of reel is she currently using ? Spincast, spinning, underspin ??
    What does the budget allow ?? Do you want to start her out "inexpensive", then let her decide when to "upgrade" ... or start her out with high quality, and/or on a equal basis with what you're using ??

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all that replied, will check them out
    Garmin Striker 7sv

Post Thanks / Like

What price range are you trying to stay within?

A good combination you won't have to replace as your wife gains experience is a 5-1/2' to 6-1/2' St. Croix Premier UL spinning rod ($80) and a Pflueger President 6725 spinning reel ($60). This combination is light in weight so her arm does not get tired from casting all day and is very sensitive so it will be easier for her to feel a bite.
    Keith
    2008 NWR Bash Crappie Champion
    2010 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion
    2010 Buggs Bash Smallest Crappie Award

Post Thanks / Like

BPS sells the Wally Marshall combos in a couple different sizes and styles and they are nice and affordable,especially if you catch them on sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PanMan_VA View Post
    What price range are you trying to stay within?
    Good question. IMO, Loomis makes the best rods, but they're pricey. For reels, get the best Shimano or Daiwa you can afford.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast