Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Worm bed boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Worm bed boxes

I`m thinking of making a worm bed box that will hold upwards to 200 worm.
    I know, crappies would rather have minnows. I live next to the Mississippi river so crappies arent the only fish I fish for.
    I`m not looking to make this box too overly involved. I already know I will probably need to refrigerate this box, which may cut down the amount of worms I can save at a time.
    I see Wal-Mart sells bedding I can use, but I need a container of sorts that will fit in an old fridge located in my garage.
    Just want to get worms from my yard to keep thoughout the year to cut down on the trips to the baitshop.
    Also, if anyone has ideas about how to contain and save minnows thoughout the year, that will be appreciated too.

Post Thanks / Like

Mother Earth News has an excellent article this month on Growing worms at the house. Bedding can be made from cardboard, newspaper, and compost. Feed em veggies, table scraps etc. I suggest you find a copy for this article there is a lot of info to keep worms year round. Good Fishing !

Post Thanks / Like

Go to any place that sells fish and ask if they have any styrofoam containers that the fish come in. They are about 16x16 inches and 8-10 inches tall. They make great worm containers. Just mix and add the worm bedding from Wal-Mart and you have a container that will hold up to 4-500 worms quite well, as long as you keep them in fridge. Wal-Mart might even have the containers also if they have the fish in that store. Using the bedding you won't have to feed them. I have kept up to 4 of these boxes in my bait fridge thru the summer. I use to keep about 2000 Night Crawlers on hand for Walleye fishing. We would pick them up after or during a rain.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My granddaughter and I cut a plastic 55 gallon barrel in to longways and built a stand to put it on. Bored several 3/4 inch holes in the bottom, placed screen door wire inside...so they can't crawl out. Got a couple of bags of peat moss and some dirt/cow manure. Mixed the moss and dirt/cow manure together along with a bunch of shreaded newspapers...wet it all down good, then placed cardboard on top.

But....spoke to a lady in Asheboro and we are getting two pounds of redworms Tuesday from her. One pound of breeders and one pound of straight runs... so we should have plenty of worms for the bream and catfish in High Rock before to much longers.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 55 gallon drum that I cut in half and am using the top half, Drilled a couple of 2" holes along with the 2 bung holes I put 3 layers of screen mesh over them. Turned upside down with peat moss, I got a gallon ice cream bucket of mostly worms from my fathers worm bed (he uses just peat moss and peanut shells mixed) I have been feeding them just chicken layer crumbles and sprinkling them on top about every 5 days, I also wet down the peat moss about every 5 days. My worm population has grown tremendously. I would not recomend having the peat moss over about 10" deep it is just easier for them to work. They multiply fast. I also keep a low wattage light on them continously that keeps them from crawling out of the top.

poppop is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

ejones....has got the solution.....we do something similar...and also feed chicken layer crumbles also....they love that stuff...